What's new

Haiku

Reaction score
My only knowledge about haiku is its moraic meter requirements, so I am wondering if there is anything specifically out of place thematically in the following haiku. Can anyone guess to what they allude?

白波で
虹を乗り越え
髪になる

壁なのに
硬さ色々
虹のよう

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
Hmm. I'm stumped.
Haiku should include a seasonal key word. In your examples, I suppose rainbow might fill the roll of a season word, but the meanings are opaque to me.

Reaction score
Apparently this is about the US election results -- Trump riding the white wave (people) past the rainbow (the coalition of other people), and becoming hair god. The second haiku is about the supposed wall (certain states) that Trump must win. Since he essentially won every one of those states, the wall is more like a rainbow. So that's the context here.

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
Too high-level for me.
I think when the specific kanji 髪 (hair) is used, you lose the potential to read this as 神 (god). So maybe the original would be better as カミになる (?)

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently this is about the US election results -- Trump riding the white wave (people) past the rainbow (the coalition of other people), and becoming hair god. The second haiku is about the supposed wall (certain states) that Trump must win. Since he essentially won every one of those states, the wall is more like a rainbow. So that's the context here.
The ones you composed are more likely senryū rather than haiku, not only because of the lack of kireji other than kigo, which Majestic-san already mentioned, but also because of the contents of the poems.

Haiku - Wikipedia
Senryū - Wikipedia
Kigo - Wikipedia
Kireji - Wikipedia

Reaction score

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
Haiku is more strict also for the writing style other than the theme, and senryū can be just humorous. (Note that I'm talking about traditional haiku.)