What's new

Guidance: Master's Degree in Education -- Usage in Japan

Mahari

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am an aspiring educator who currently holds a B.A. in French Language and Literature but also holds an intense desire to teach English in Japan. I have thoroughly researched the entry level eikawa positions, the JET program and the lesser known entry ways into the foreign education system of Japan, but I'm about to begin my Master's program in education and I ponder where that can take me in my goal. I would like to compete for a spot as an instructor or lecturer of English as a Foreign Language, but would a Master's in Education coupled with a TEFL certification (and the additional Japanese language competencies) make me remotely marketable? I suppose I am asking for a bit of guidance and relative information from those who could help.

Thanks!

Glenski

Just me
Reaction score
The master's degree will not disqualify you from ALT or eikaiwa positions. It is virtually a standard now for university positions, even part-time ones.

I would like to compete for a spot as an instructor or lecturer of English as a Foreign Language, but would a Master's in Education coupled with a TEFL certification (and the additional Japanese language competencies) make me remotely marketable?
Yes, but in terms of university jobs, I'd have to say most will also require publications, and many require teaching experience (preferably in Japan), too.

People have published on university job requirements since the early 2000s. I could send you them if need be. They are still mostly valid today. Otherwise, on your own you could try looking them up at JALT.org's The Language Teacher archives. I myself published a small piece in 2007 on that and have included those refs.
The right stuff: hiring trends for tenured university positions in Japan. 2010. TLT
Preparing to search for university teaching positions. TLT 31.3, pp. 41-2
Recruiting a university English teacher: Raising the standard. TLT 28.10
The person, the package, the presentation: Lessons from a recent job hunt TLT 28.10
Considerations for securing an English teaching position at a Japanese university, Part I. TLT 9.8

Considerations for securing an English teaching position at a Japanese university, Part II. TLT 9.9
Job hunting in Japan: The resume and the interview. 1996. TLT
Job hunting in Japan: qualifications and information. 1996. TLT

Go to this now defunct Web site for the same links and some conversation on the matter, including pointing out that the JRECIN site has the most job ads in English and Japanese for universities in Japan.