What's new

GTA lawsuit...

Iron Chef

Villain
Rest in Peace
26 Feb 2003
Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines

As reported by the Associated Press (full story can be found above):

"A $246 million lawsuit was filed against the designer, marketer and a retailer (Walmart) of the video game series "Grand Theft Auto" by the families of two people shot (one died, the other seriously wounded) by teenagers apparently inspired by the game."

Hmm... thoughts, comments?

That will never pass.

Might as well sue the whole of Hollywood for making inspiring movies. If anyone is to blame it's the US government for making guns available to their population in the first place.

According to the article itself, it sounds like this particular lawyer has tried this kind of lawsuit before and failed... I have to figure this one will probably fail as well. There's too many other parts of those kids' lives which had to break down before things could get to that point.

I'm no fan of GTA myself, but this just smacks of another "turn personal tragedy into a BIG cash settlement" lawsuit... if the suit wasn't for such a ridiculous amount, I'd think there was more merit to the case.

I still remember all the preposterous videogame lawsuits of the 1980's... remember the public crucifixion of the videogame "Night Trap"? Man, that game was the picture of innocence compared to so many parts of American society both in thr '80s and today...

:auch:

truly depressing... wonder if vid game makers factor lawsuit costs into their prices nowadays...

i think its a shame that people are increasingly turning to lawsuits for all kinds of things...some woman sued a school because her kid fell off a swing - and won! its madness :p

Originally posted by Twisted
Might as well sue the whole of Hollywood for making inspiring movies. If anyone is to blame it's the US government for making guns available to their population in the first place.

Totally agree...

I bet there's tons of stuff out there that's more violent than GTA.... Mmmm... I don't recall Matrix or Hollywood getting sued for the incident last time (where 2 guys went on a rampage dressing up as Neo)

Originally posted by jovial_jon
some woman sued a school because her kid fell off a swing - and won! its madness :p

I wonder what's next? The woman suing Frito-Lays for making her kid too fat?

Originally posted by Shadow
I wonder what's next? The woman suing Frito-Lays for making her kid too fat?

Actually, i think someone already sued McDonalds for something like that. The judge dismissed the case though.
It's time people take responsibility for their own actions again. I'm getting sick and tired of all those disclaimers all over the place.

Did anyone here ever watch the sci-fi TV show "Sliders", where a group of people travel between different alternate realities of Earth? I remember one episode where they end up on an Earth pretty much run by attorneys... one character was forced to sign a 4-page long waiver to purchase a Big Mac!

It sounds like we're pretty close to "sliding" into that reality...

:rolleyes:

I find it hard to believe that the parents never saw any warning signs of a murder. If anybody is to blame its the parents for not playing an active role in their childrens lives. Seriously, who wouldn't know if their kid had a gun if they actually cared enough to take 5 min. to have a conversation with their kids.

BLAME: The parents
KEEP MAKING: GTA and similar games (as long as they are as good as the aforementioned)
SHOOT: The attorney (and the judge if he rules in favor of the parents)

What a first impression I've left.👏