What's new

Greetings from Hokkaido!!

Mike Jahncke

後輩
27 Oct 2011
初めまして!!

Hi. My name is Mike!

I am originally from Michigan in the United States, but am currently studying for an academic year in Otaru, Japan. So far I love it.

I have formally studied Japanese for two years, but have taught myself hiragana, katakana, and a little bit of kanji prior to taking courses at my university. I grew up speaking a little Swedish at home, and took German for a while. I'm not fluent in it, but I know enough to get my point across I think.

I chose to take Japanese because I wanted a challenge. I honestly don't care too much about manga/anime, J-pop, or karaoke. What I love about Japan is the history of traditional Japan, and how the country manages to uphold tradition whilst being a modern, sophisticated society.

So here I am on the beautiful island of Hokkaido in August to prove to myself I can do this, and will do everything I can to make sure I go back home with as little regret as possible. It was a long flight between Detroit and Tokyo Narita; I don't want to think to myself, "I wish I did...while in Japan." at all while on the plane home!

どうぞよろしくお願いします。

Take pictures of mundane everyday boring crap. In years to come they will mean more to you than pictures of touristy "cultural" stuff.

Welcome to the forum Mike!

I have never been to Hokaido but it must be beautiful and freezing in winter time!

I am looking forward to reading more of your posts about the history of Japan and other society related stuf!

Back
Top Bottom