What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Greenpeace dumps dead whale at Japanese embassy in Berlin

kirei_na_me

Where I'm Supposed to Be
Joined
31 Jan 2003
Messages
4,823
Reaction score
162
BERLIN (AFP) - A dead whale was lying in front of the Japanese embassy in Berlin, after Greenpeace brought it to the German capital in a protest against Japanese whale hunting for scientific research.

The whale was brought to Berlin by the environmental group after it was found beached near Wismar on Germany's Baltic coast on Saturday.

The 17-meter (55-feet) -long whale, which was between 10 and 20 years old, was lying in the snow under a banner stating: "Science does not need harpoons."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060119/sc_afp/germanyjapanenvironmentspecies_060119134759
 

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Joined
15 Mar 2002
Messages
16,455
Reaction score
2,255
That's the second article I've seen saying Greenpeace "dumped" the whale in front of the Japanese embassy.

Look carefully at the photo. It would appear to still be lying on a flatbed trailer parked in front of the embassy. A 55 foot long 20 ton marine mammal isn't something a couple of guys could drive up and roll off the back of a truck; it takes cranes and a considerable amount of time....during which presumably the German police could show up and prevent the "dumping". Like the whale itself, the way the story is being presented to the world doesn't pass the smell test.

Why do media outlets feel a need to present deceptive stories and photos? We all know they have no bias or political agenda, after all.
 

RockLee

Hullu
Joined
22 Apr 2004
Messages
3,568
Reaction score
130
mikecash said:
That's the second article I've seen saying Greenpeace "dumped" the whale in front of the Japanese embassy.

Look carefully at the photo. It would appear to still be lying on a flatbed trailer parked in front of the embassy. A 55 foot long 20 ton marine mammal isn't something a couple of guys could drive up and roll off the back of a truck; it takes cranes and a considerable amount of time....during which presumably the German police could show up and prevent the "dumping". Like the whale itself, the way the story is being presented to the world doesn't pass the smell test.

Why do media outlets feel a need to present deceptive stories and photos? We all know they have no bias or political agenda, after all.
It's what they do for a living.They need sensation Mike!Reality doesn't sell that well.
 

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Moderator
Donor
Joined
8 Aug 2005
Messages
5,987
Reaction score
1,199
"Science does not need harpoons"...

What's the connection with science? Now I'm even more confused about what greenpeace stands for.
 

Clawn

The Wise *****
Joined
6 Feb 2005
Messages
576
Reaction score
15
nice gaijin said:
"Science does not need harpoons"...
What's the connection with science? Now I'm even more confused about what greenpeace stands for.
I agree, what in the world does a beached whale have to do with science? Even though I agreed with the general idea of the "whale dump" I think the way that GreenPeace went about their "protest" is just stupid. Dumping a whale on someone's doorstep isn't going to make them stop wanting to hunt whales.
 

sabro

Sempai
Joined
23 Apr 2004
Messages
917
Reaction score
35
Ooooh Suuuuuuuushi!!!!! (thanks Maciamo...)
 

Attachments

  • 1434nemo.jpg
    1434nemo.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 39
Joined
18 Jan 2005
Messages
10,348
Reaction score
737
Joined
25 Dec 2005
Messages
235
Reaction score
6
Good on Greenpeace!

Perhaps this will afford the Japanese scientists an opportunity to create strong air fresheners to keep the stink from rotting flesh bothering their diplomats inside the embassy. Let`s hope the temperature goes up.
 

MajideSaiaku

tsuyaku o tsukete kudasai
Joined
19 Jan 2005
Messages
1,381
Reaction score
56
Voice, stop posting, go away...☝
What?, he annoys me, thats all... :eek:
Lets dump Voice in with a few predatory whales, and see if they fancy conserving his ***.
Again, im all for protecting endangered species, i just hate eco-terrorist hippies.
 
Joined
25 Dec 2005
Messages
235
Reaction score
6
nurizeko said:
Voice, stop posting, go away...☝
What?, he annoys me, thats all... :eek:
Lets dump Voice in with a few predatory whales, and see if they fancy conserving his ***.
Again, im all for protecting endangered species, i just hate eco-terrorist hippies.

If I annoy you so much, then you can be assured it will be my pleasure to hang around more just for you.
 

MajideSaiaku

tsuyaku o tsukete kudasai
Joined
19 Jan 2005
Messages
1,381
Reaction score
56
Thankyou for sharing your true intentions with the forum, be assured, if you are just indeed here to annoy, you wont be around long.

Bai Bai!🙂
 
Joined
25 Dec 2005
Messages
235
Reaction score
6
nurizeko said:
Thankyou for sharing your true intentions with the forum, be assured, if you are just indeed here to annoy, you wont be around long.
Bai Bai!🙂

lol. Annoying you is just a bi-product. Keep reading my posts. ;-)
 

sabro

Sempai
Joined
23 Apr 2004
Messages
917
Reaction score
35
What happened to the whale when the protest was done? Who got to clean it up? Who footed the bill?
 

bossel

Sempai
Joined
28 Sep 2003
Messages
1,162
Reaction score
44
sabro said:
What happened to the whale when the protest was done? Who got to clean it up? Who footed the bill?
It was on its way to a museum when they stopped for a while in front of the Japanese embassy. I suppose, by now the whale has reached its destination.
 

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Joined
15 Mar 2002
Messages
16,455
Reaction score
2,255
Is no one else troubled by the deceitful manner in which the media presented the story?
 

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Joined
15 Mar 2002
Messages
16,455
Reaction score
2,255
sabro said:
What happened to the whale when the protest was done? Who got to clean it up? Who footed the bill?

Clean up consisted of putting the truck in gear, releasing the parking brakes, and driving away. The damned thing was never "dumped" at the embassy.
 
Top Bottom