What's new

Grammar help, please!

jconnor1

後輩
17 Apr 2012
Hey again, I've been trying to find things to read to help my grammar and vocab knowledge, but I always get caught up with particles used in ways that I don't recognize, and a lot of the time I can't quite figure out the meaning of the sentence.

Here's an example of what I mean, using a sentence that I found in another thread floating around here:

家族や友人との旅とは異なった側面を彼らは経験させて くれるだろう。

1) The first place I get caught up is the second と. It doesn't seem like it would mean "and" or "with," but I may be wrong. How is this being used? Or should I try to read it as とは? In short, I am totally lost at this part of the sentence.

2) 異なった側面を彼らは経験させて くれるだろう。This part of the sentence seems a little more straightforward, but to clarify, would it be correct at all to read it as "~allows them/each person to experience different aspects"? And are there any subtleties that I'm missing?

2a) I read on that same thread that I found this sentence that there was an implication of 自分. How is that implied?

3) Could somebody give their best translation of this sentence? Not to cheat, but to help understand how to arrive there.

Sorry if my questions sound dumb. I took four Japanese classes at my college, but it wasn't an intensive program. I'm going to Japan a year from now and I want to continue improving until I go. I'm striving for fluency at some point, but it's a long road for sure!

Anyway, thank you guys for your help!
Joe

Ah thanks, that's the thread I was looking at before, but I felt like I needed to get a more basic understanding first, so I didn't read through everything... but I just did, and I understand much better now.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom