What's new

GPS maps for Japan (or GPS Unit)

Fumega

後輩
4 Feb 2008
Hi, I'm going to Japan (Tokyo) within some weeks, and in order to Navigate properly I want to download a Japanese map for any software on the market, but I can't seem to find one, no TOMTOM, Ndrive, Navigon, I-GO map.
I really don't understand, as an ultra developed country you surely have a lot of GPS units around there, where I can find one? I was looking for a turn by turn navigation device (in English of course) .
What kind of GPS units you have around there? What's their brand? Are they in English? Can you give me some links to their website?
Regards.

yep available

Hi, I'm going to Japan (Tokyo) within some weeks, and in order to Navigate properly I want to download a Japanese map for any software on the market
What kind of GPS units you have around there? What's their brand? Are they in English? Can you give me some links to their website?
Regards.

I know you can get Garmin compatible maps online, but you need to convert them using free software. The software wads IMG2GPS or something.

It's a bit difficult, as you will have discovered by now. Even GoogleMaps is in Japanese when one looks at place/street names in Japan. Some have been translated, but the majority haven't. It is worth looking into the possibility of buying a paper map of the area(s) you intend to visit - actually never a bad idea as you can draw on paper maps, and they still function even if the US military decides to encode the GPS signal (leaving all civilians 'in the dark').

Back
Top Bottom