What's new

Travel Good place to go near tokyo.

kade

Registered
Reaction score
hello guys i'm headed to japan from march 31- April 9 and im flying into tokyo and staying in the ana continental hotel. I want to go see the nature side of japan like the forests, temples, mountains, etc. does anyone know some good places to go or cool events to see? This is my first and most likely only trip to japan so i want to have the coolest experience i can with there beautiful nature and rich history. so if you know any must sees let me know. thanks for any help!

(P.S. sorry if this is in the wrong place first time using the sight)

Reaction score
"Kamakura"
Because of Koto Hozon ho (the Ancient Capitals Preservation Law) imposing restraints towards uncontrolled land development, today's Kamakura retains its historical climate with many old shrines and temples, and historic sites.
Kamakura City Tourist Association

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
"Kamakura"
Because of Koto Hozon ho (the Ancient Capitals Preservation Law) imposing restraints towards uncontrolled land development, today's Kamakura retains its historical climate with many old shrines and temples, and historic sites.
Kamakura City Tourist Association
I agree, it's one of those places that is genuinely lovely to wander around and see what you find, rather than be taken from one spot to another. There are also some very pleasant easy hiking trails that connect some of the shrines and temples.

PatrickNZ

Kouhai
Reaction score
Nikko, Kamakura, Nagano.
For Nagano you might like Togakushi (I hope to be able to visit again this weekend if the snow isn't too deep).

Lothor

Donor
Reaction score
I used to work in Kawagoe and I'd give a miss. As I said with Kamakura, it is a great place to wander round because most of it is nice - there's no need to be transported through mediocrity to get to each attraction. With Kawagoe, 98% of it is drab Saitama town and 2% is interesting. The adverts promoting the place always show exactly the same few shots, because that is all there is.

johnnyG

先輩
Reaction score
As an alternative to actually getting out of Tokyo, you might try figuratively getting out by 'climbing' or viewing a few of the more well-known 富士塚 -- Fujizuka - Wikipedia

Lothor

Donor
Reaction score
I work in that area and it is worth visiting. Yanaka cemetery is a very good place for cherry blossom viewing too.
One more suggestion for a place: Nokogiriyama in Chiba prefecture.

Nokogiri-yama, Chiba - Chiba - Japan Travel - Tourism Guide, Japan Map and Trip Planner