What's new

Good Luck Flag - Translation needed please.

Looking4Answers

Registered
18 Apr 2019
Hello and thanks for allowing me to join the forum.

I have recently purchase a good luck flag that based on the condition was taken off of a battlefield during WW2. I would love to get this translated but keep hitting dead ends.

I am aware of the obonsociety and may go that route once I've done enough research on this piece.

Picture for translation.

Attachments

• IMG_20190414_100214__01.jpg
    IMG_20190414_100214__01.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 230
I've tried translating some of it on my own. I see the "eternal success in war" on the left side.
Really appreciate any help on this. Specifically who the owner was and who presented it to him.

Sometimes it takes a day or two to get good replies. A few of our members only get on during the weekend. Hopefully you will get some good answers. When it comes to wartime flags , it's almost like there were tons of people producing fakes. I heard there were Marines who spent their spare time copying real flags to make extra money during and after the war.

It looks very suspicious to me. A strange mixture of Japanese words (written in an unusual style), with phrases that feel out of place to me (国家の為に御奉公 - dedicate your life to the nation, in service to the nation, etc...).

That phrase sounds like it doesn't belong to that time, and the same sentiment would have been worded differently.

I have to say it looks a bit fake. Let's see what Toritoribe-san has to say.

I, too, am skeptical about the authenticity of the flag. There seems to be too many slogans and poems to the number of the dedicators.

Back
Top Bottom