What's new

"Golden Boys" translated

superdave67

Registered
2 Feb 2015
My son just bought his first car... a 2003 Nissan 350Z... and is fascinated with the Japanese culture. He and his friends, with similar type cars (imports), have a group name... "Golden Boys". He is thinking of getting some stickers made with that phase/term on it for he and his friends to put on their cars. I was thinking that instead of putting that in English on the stickers, to put it in Japanese... but don't want to suggest the Japanese translated term and it ending up being something totally different, as some terms are "lost in the translation", so to speak. I've heard too many stories of someone translating a phase literally, and it actually coming out as something totally different and/or doesn't make sense.

Google Translator translates "Golden Boys" to ゴールデンボーイズ in Japanese, but would like to know/confirm if that actually translates appropriately and/or accurately.

What would the term "Golden Boy" (or boys), as in someone who is everybody's favorite... be in Japanese?

Thanks all,
Dave

That's katakana, it just spells out the sounds for 'golden boys' and would sound like 'go-rudenbo-eezu' where the dashes indicated a more drawn out sound. If the kids are happy with the way it looks, go for it, but don't let them tattoo it.

When people ask they can just say "It says golden boys in katakana" which is far better than them trying to explain a kanji they really have no concept of. At least that's how I see it.

Great, thank you.
One last question... Is there a Japanese term for "Golden Boy" or equivalent term?... As in a person who is liked/loved by everyone. I'm looking for something that is a pictograph, something inherently Japanese, as opposed to English letters and such. Just putting English letters on his car in something more or less incomprehensible, isn't nearly as cool as some Japanese pictograph.

Thanks.

I would go with the katakana. It's still Japanese, just phonetically spelled out. I can't think of a term that implies what you're looking for, and ironically enough, Japanese youth would see katakana or english lettering as way cooler than kanji. Exoticism goes both ways

Back
Top Bottom