What's new

Going to Tokyo; need help

Xerolt

後輩
21 Sep 2012
Hello fellow Japan-fans!

I've been fond of the Japanese for the past two years now. I've been VERY impressed by their anime (Though I don't read manga much due to the lack of time) and video games. I've watched lots of anime and I believe I will continue watching for a long time. Also, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear Solid have become my favourite game series.

But my love for anime and video games aren't the only reasons I would like to go to Japan. I love technology, and Tokyo is one of the most advanced cities on the planet. Also, Japanese culture and history is fascinating, and I would also like to visit some of their beautiful parks and natural areas.

This year, I am planning to visit Tokyo in December, for three days. I will be going with my father and brother. I'm 16 and my father agreed to take me because of my good grades. This trip is going to be expensive, and I'm guessing I won't be going again for a while, so I want to make the most of it.

I joined this forum and created this thread to ask you guys about the places that I should visit. Please keep in mind that I'll only be staying for three days. I will probably have access to a vehicle there though, so transportation should not be a problem. Also keep in mind that I love anime, technology, video games and scenic beauty, so suggest something accordingly.

So far, the following places have made it on my list:

- Square Enix Store (I want to see the merchandise there and the actual Sephiroth that they have in the ground)
- Ikebukoro (Especially Otome Road)
- Ginza District
- Shinjuku Gyoen
- Disneyland Tokyo
- Pokemon Center
- Tokyo Tower (Maybe, because I don't have much information about it)
- Comiket (If it is happening at the time when I'm going)

So, are there any places that you can recommend? Personally, I think this is pretty easy for three days. I could explore the SE Store, Pokemon Center and the Shinjuku Gyoen in a day, or less. So, I think I'll have plenty of time.

BTW, aside from recommending places, could someone give a little detail about Pokemon Center?
Also, I wanted to go to Universal Studios, but that's in Osaka, so it'll be a problem :(

You're 16 and your interests are completely different from mine, so it's difficult to give any good recommendation.
Obviously you don't seem to be interested in Japanese culture or history, so I guess you don't care about temples or castles or anything?

If I look at your list, I guess you'll love Akihabara.
If you have time, definitely go there!

Totally agree with ZJ: though living close to Tokyo and working there almost daily, I have never heard of the Square Enix Store and the Pokemon Centre. Must be an age-related thing.

I also recommend to see Akihabara, stroll down Chuo-dori and don't miss the backstreets. See if you can procure tickets to visit the Tokyo Sky Tree instead of or in addition to Tokyo Tower.

I wouldn't want to travel halfway around the world and spend my precious few hours in stores gawking at things I could sit in front of my computer at home and gawk at on the internet. Browsing stores filled with shelves of non-subtitled cartoon DVDs in a foreign language hardly seems worth making a trip for.

Tokyo Disneyland is pretty much a full day thing, and the bulk of your memories of it will be standing in line for hours on end to spend thirty seconds riding some whirligig. Wear comfortable shoes.

Japan isn't its technology or pop culture ephemera. It is a place and its people. The technocrap, cartoons, and comic books can be experienced anywhere in the world, thanks to the internet. Try to spend what precious little time you have here enjoying the things that can't.

Thomas: Ah the Sky Tree seems great. So should I visit BOTH the Tokyo Tower and the Sky Tree or only the latter?
And I'm surprised that you haven't heard of the SE store and Pokemon Center. They aren't anything huge, but since I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan, and Pokemon contributed a lot in my childhood, I think I should visit them.

@zoomingjapan: Yes, I am interested in Japanese temples. However, there are so many that I can't decide which one to go too. The few that I was interested in were out of Tokyo.

@Mike Cash: I'm not going to be gawking at things in stores. I'm well aware that I can do this on the internet. I will obviously be going to the anime and video game stores because I have a passion for them. It's quite hard to explain, so I'd rather not.
I ask you: What are the things in Japan that cannot be experienced anywhere else?

Also, I forgot to mention Mount Fuji in that list. I'd love to go there, but I'm worried that it might be slightly far from Tokyo. Could anyone shed some light on this?

You will NOT need a vehicle to help you get around, so just use public transportation. Very efficient and omnipresent.

Three days is not much time. December in Tokyo is sloppy, wet, and cold weather.

Is this trip something only for you, or do the other 2 people have any say in what you will see and do?

What are the things in Japan that cannot be experienced anywhere else?
MANY things, but in only 3 days, you shouldn't ask about Japan but just Tokyo and immediate surroundings.

Anime and manga aside, I'd say spend a day on taking in that sort of culture. You're probably going to be able to visit 2-3 places maximum on one day. Then see other parts of the culture. Perhaps a side trip to Kamakura for the big Buddha and nearby temple would be a nice cultural experience. Or visit the Imperial Palace.

Skip Fuji. You may not even see it with the cloud cover, and you certainly aren't going to be able to climb it on your schedule.

instead of visiting Tokyo tower I would visit mori tower instead so that you can actually have a nice view on Tokyo tower.

Odaiba can be fun as well
Akihabara is a fun experience
and Tachibana (nothing to do there, just want to support the city by putting it's name down ;) )

SE store is good I guess for people your age, but I dont think your dad will enjoy that lol. Sky tree! Theres a temple near sky tree called Sensoji Temple. I live 5 minutes away from it, makes me feel calm lol. And please dont go to Pokemon center. Like what everyone said, internets. 楽!

@Glenski: To be honest, yes, this trip is only for me. Basically, I had some international examinations this year and my dad asked me to get grades over 90% and he'd take me to Tokyo. And so, I obtained those grades and now we're going. My brother is just coming along randomly and he doesn't really care much about Japan, it's culture or tourism in general.
I've never heard of the Imperial Palace... is it worth visiting? It sure sounds good though. And I can't go outside of Tokyo. As I said, I only have three days. Travelling would take up a lot of time.

@Kenjikun: Yeah, my dad and brother won't enjoy it at all xD They know nothing about Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts or Dragon Quest. But I won't take long there. After all, it's just a store.
If Sensoji temple is near Sky Tree and if I go to Sky Tree, I'll visit it on the way back :)

Guys, I would also like to know if language is a huge issue in Tokyo. I hardly know any Japanese, save for the basic words. Do most people understand English there?

@Davey: I think Sky Tree would dominate over both? I'll still do some research on Mori Tower and see how that works out. Odaiba seems wonderful though. But is it far from Tokyo?

@

Odaiba isn't far from Tokyo; Odaiba is in Tokyo. Unlike Tokyo Disneyland, which is not in Tokyo.

Some time spent examining a map and the physical locations of the places you want to go would be time very well spent. Skip watching a cartoon one night and familiarize yourself with the basics of Tokyo geography.

Last edited:
I was gonna say the same thing... Tokyo Disneyland will take up an entire day because of travel time. Unless you're a huge Disney fan and want to spend a lot of money for a canned experience, I'd skip Disneyland since you have so little time to begin with.

Anyone know if the Gundam is still up in Odaiba? I heard it was temporary, but then someone said it was going to become a permanent installation somewhere.

Sounds like you'd enjoy Akihabara. Also if you like Ghibli, be sure to spend an afternoon at the Ghibli museum in Inokashira park near Kichijoji station. Reservations are required beforehand.

Public transportation is quite convenient in Tokyo, so I'd recommend taking the train at least some of the time, as it's also a major part of the Japanese lifestyle; some people spend a large chunk of their day riding trains around, to and from work/school, etc. Take a cab or whatever but don't rely on it exclusively, traffic is really bad at certain hours.

Tokyo tower is neat but can be skipped. I know nothing of the Sky Tree but it looks cool. If you want a nice view, the Tochou near Shinjuku is a highrise with a free observation deck, very nice views day and night. If you want a cool place to stay, look up Toco or Nui, which are inexpensive hostels but quite nice I hear.

Have just enough plans so you're never stuck wondering where to go next, but don't be a nazi about your time. If your father and brother are into different things, try to look up things for them to do nearby while you're doing things they have no interest in.

Language will be SOME issue. People study English in JHS and HS for a total of 6 years, but the last 2-3 years is not for conversation, and they really don't get much practice. So, they can understand generally better than they generate. Speaking slowly without slang will help. Tokyo is huge, so you will find there will be more people willing/able to TRY communicating in English than in rural areas. Just be polite and courteous, and things will be ok.

As for Imperial Palace, judge for yourself if it's worth it.
Tokyo Imperial Palace

@Mike Cash: Okay, in that case, Odaiba is making my list. Don't mind me saying this, but I believe you disapprove my trip ._.

@nice gaijin: There's a Ghibli Museum?! That is a MUST for me. I love Ghibli and I'm a huge fan of Hayao Miyazaki. I am DEFINITELY going to visit that. I just hope I get the tickets. Can they be purchased right there, or are they available somewhere else?
And I really want to go to Disneyland too. I've never been there, in any other country either, so I want to visit this one. Plus, it's something that my father and brother would enjoy too.

@Glenski: The Imperial Palace looks good and rich in history from what the link showed me. I'll visit that too. Once again, this is something that my father and brother can enjoy too.

So, till now, these are the places to visit:

-Akihabara
-Otome Road
-Disneyland
-Square Enix Store
-Sky Tree
-Sensoji Temple
-Tokyo Imperial Palace
-Ghibli Museum
-Shinjuku Gyoen
-Odaiba

I would like some information on the Shinjuku Gyoen though. I've heard it's a great sakura tree park, but that's pretty much all I've heard.

I guess I can easily visit Akhabara, Otome Road, Square Enix Store, Sky Tower and Sensoji temple in one day. In the second day, I can go to the Shinjuku Gyoen, Tokyo Imperial Palace and the Ghibli Museum, and maybe Odaiba. On the third day, I can go to Disneyland. Sounds good?

Disapprove? Goodness, no! I hope you have a wonderful time and visit again whenever you can.

I really don't know what there is to see and do in Odaiba, although there are a few museums there that I like. For a good view of the area you can go up the tower of the Maritime Sciences Museum (the building is shaped like a ship) or you can visit the little-known Tokyo Port Museum on either the 19th or 20th floor (I forget which) of the Frontier Building for a 360 degree view. The latter is only about 200 yen admission. The former is about 700.

Disney on the last day might be best, as you planned. You'll be worn out at the end of the day and it won't affect any other sightseeing that way. All you have to do is get on a plane the next day and you can catch some rest on the way home.

Anyone know if the Gundam is still up in Odaiba? I heard it was temporary, but then someone said it was going to become a permanent installation somewhere.
I saw that one about 2 years ago. It was great to see, especially because it was already 1 at night and still so many people came to see it. And I'm not even a Gundam fan.

If it is still there...

@Mike Cash: Ah, forgive me then. I must have misinterpreted some things. I'll try the Maritime Sciences Museum if I get the chance :)
Could you, by any chance, tell me anything about the Shinjuku Gyoen?

@Davey and @undrentide : I haven't watched Gundam. I know the basic gist, and I know it's quite popular, but I've never got the chance to watch it. If I do visit this place, will I enjoy it? And what exactly is available there?

For a good view of the area you can go up the tower of the Maritime Sciences Museum (the building is shaped like a ship) or you can visit the little-known Tokyo Port Museum on either the 19th or 20th floor (I forget which) of the Frontier Building for a 360 degree view.

The Museum of Maritime Sciences used to be one of my favourite spots in Tokyo. Unfortunately, it closed its gates for good in September 2011.

I believe for both Ghibli and Sky Tree you need to reserve in advance. Google it.

Odaiba is a bit of a pain to get to, and is kind of southwest, closer to Shinagawa station. Ghibli Museum is closer to Kichijoji which is in the west side of the city on the Chuo line. Taking into account travel time, If you want to squeeze both in I'd do Ghibli in the morning and go to Odaiba either before or after luinch, or something like that. Plan to have other options in case you find yourself with time to spare, but Ghibli and Odaiba can easily fill a full day.

@thomas: Aww, it seemed like a good place to visit. :\

@nice gaijin: I searched online for Ghibli and it asked me to reserve the tickets through some travel agency, which is difficult. The second option is to reserve it directly from Japan, which is harder since I don't think I'll manage to get a ticket for the next day. Could someone shed some more light on this issue?

I've never gone so I have no experience, but I asked a friend who once got his tickets from a convenience store or something like that. Since you're only going for a few days you'll probably want to book them in advance. The second time he went he ordered his tickets through JTB in advance, but doesn't know how easy it is to order outside the US. Worth a try if you want to go, I've never met a Ghibli fan who was disappointed

addendum: my friend looked it up and says you could probably try to email one of their European offices to book tickets. Just google "JTB Ghibli" and look up their European branches

Last edited:
Oh alright, I think that will be easier for me :)

Thanks for the help guys! If any of you have any further suggestions, do post them here. Oh and I'm still waiting for some info on Shinjuku Gyoen.

google, tripadvisor, etc. the world is at your fingertips. The few times I've been there it was a park

I thought of something you might consider doing in the evening. How about taking a harbor tour on one of the several harbor tour boats? It would be a good way to enjoy the night skyline of the city. You can still enjoy the city while giving your tired feet a rest at the end of the day.

Some tour boat names you can read up on:

Vingt et Un
Symphony Moderna
Symphony Classica

Or perhaps one of the tour boats that operates on the Sumida River and some of the other waterways in Tokyo.

Back
Top Bottom