What's new

Travel Going back to Japan

fouad

後輩
5 Feb 2015
Hi everybody,
On my first trip to Japan, I visited Tokyo, Kyoto , Nara and Osaka.
Needless to say it was beyond all my expectations.
On my next trip I want to go back to Tokyo and Kyoto and then I'll jump over to Hiroshima. There are two main motives for that choice;
- one: the city and it's surroundings are magnificent;
- two: in being there it's a way of paying tribute to the japenese people.
I wonder wether other visitors have the same feeling.
On my way back to Tokyo I plan to make one more stop over either Okayama or Nagoya or may be some other worthy place; if I may have any suggestion...
On my fisrt trip I bought a Green Line ticket Tokyo to Kyoto for 13000 Yen which is a lot.
What I'll be looking for is an "economy ticket" or "ordinary seat".
I would like to know what kind of train I should be looking for.
Please feed back.

If you will be doing a lot of traveling on JR lines I would suggest you look into a rail pass. Yes, its more expensive then that ticket you bought but if you are taking a lot of JR trains it can easily save you money as you get unlimited travel for a certain number of days. You can get these for a specific area of the country, like JR East, or for the whole country.

Here is a decent resource with some pricing: JTB USA JR Pass, JR East Pass, JR West Pass, JR Kyushu Pass, JR Hokkaido Pass

NOTE: You have to purchase this BEFORE your trip to Japan and bring the voucher with you. You take that voucher to the train station and they will take it and issue you the rail pass.

- two: in being there it's a way of paying tribute to the japenese people.
I wonder wether other visitors have the same feeling.
Never heard anyone ever express those feelings. Why do you have them? What tribute?

On my way back to Tokyo I plan to make one more stop over either Okayama or Nagoya or may be some other worthy place; if I may have any suggestion...
Tell us what interests you about the country or its culture first. Otherwise, we're just shooting in the dark.

Hi Petaris
Hi Glenski
tkanx for your replies.
There is no use making further comments.

Glenski.

Fouad's reply .... directly to you; was courteous and frankly, more than your terse response to his post deserved.
Leave it at that for goodness sake!

I also easily understood what he was getting at by his writing " two: in being there it's a way of paying tribute to the japenese people.I wonder wether other visitors have the same feeling."

Fouad is probably not a native English speaker and therefore 'tribute' may not have been the best word to use, but come on? Are you telling me you didn't immediately understand his sentiment? Or were you trying to be awkward and quarrelsome?
If it's the former, I'll have to re assess my views on you as an experienced EFL teacher. If it's the latter, well .... I"ll say no more!

Dotanban, I'm not stupid, nor am I trying to be quarrelsome. I asked fouad simple questions. I teach second language learners, so I realized the unnaturalness of "tribute", but was just trying to get at his motives. As for the other question, pretty obvious reason why I asked (to maximize helpfulness). I felt slighted by no response.

It depends on what you're interested in and also the season.
If you like animals and are interested in war history, then maybe visiting Okunoshima (Rabbit Island) in Hiroshima Prefecture might be an interesting option.
Okayama is good if you like Japanese gardens and castles.

Onomichi would also be a nice option if you are interested in temples and shrines.

We visited Japan in May 2014, including Tokyo, Lake Kawaguchiko, Hakone, Kyoto and Hiroshima. We included Hiroshima as we wanted to visit the Peace Park Memorial as well as Miyajima Island. We were very thankful that we added on this last stop as Hiroshima is a very beautiful and interesting city. The Peace Park and Museum were very interesting and meaningful. We spent an entire day in this area, it was great to see the groups of Japanese school children on school tours. The Bomb dome, park and Museum certainly illustrate the horrors of total war but also give a sense of hope for the future.

Hot tip: in Japan the train can be the most expensive (albeit easiest), and plane the cheapest. So, depending on the cities you are traveling between, check the prices for: plane, train, bus, and ferry. It's all a trade-off of time, money, and convenience/comfort.

Hot tip: in Japan the train can be the most expensive (albeit easiest), and plane the cheapest. So, depending on the cities you are traveling between, check the prices for: plane, train, bus, and ferry. It's all a trade-off of time, money, and convenience/comfort.
Very true. We flew on Peach Airline, very cheap and a great experience. Peach services many of the smaller Japanese cities.

Back
Top Bottom