What's new

Giving gifts to a host family

10 Aug 2003
I am planning to go to Japan this summer on an exchange program and I know that it would be polite to bring gifts for my host family. Of course, the best ideas would be things that are distinctly American, but I really have no idea whats distinctly american that I could give them. Also, cheap ideas are best considering I'm in high school and have no money. Anybody got any ideas? Or any other things I should know about going to Japan this summer, other than the humidity and heat will drive me insane seeing as I'll be there from late june to early august?

ViciousBrutality said:
I am planning to go to Japan this summer on an exchange program and I know that it would be polite to bring gifts for my host family. Of course, the best ideas would be things that are distinctly American, but I really have no idea whats distinctly american that I could give them. Also, cheap ideas are best considering I'm in high school and have no money. Anybody got any ideas? Or any other things I should know about going to Japan this summer, other than the humidity and heat will drive me insane seeing as I'll be there from late june to early august?

Some type of cookies or candy "native" to the area that you live in would be a nice gesture. Many people here like chocolate as well. Something along those lines would be appropriate and not break the bank either.

The biggest event that falls into your time frame is probably the Obon festival, though I'm not sure how early in August you'll be leaving Japan, or what the dates are for this year. There's a distinct chance you might JUUUUST miss it. :(

I used to take liquor to any host family I had, and it was always well received. Chivas Regal seemed especially popular. I understand it might be a little tougher for a high school student to gather such items, but it's what I had the most success with.

I remember when we had a host student (many years ago...) her gifts wouldnt have cost an arm and a leg, but they were great, we received packets of noodles, candy, tee shirts, origami paper and all the usual stuff.
Usually when I go to Japan, I take 'customs proof' food items, and little nicknacks. Perhaps you could buy them stationary, fridge magnets, key rings, small things that you can give to anybody and they can actually use them.
In saying that however... I sitll have a large quantity of 'gifts' that I brought for giving to people, but never actually felt that they were 'enough'.
If your budget allows maybe some clothing from your country would be nice.
Where are you from??
I think that dust from the basement might not be as nice...^^

I'm from new jersey. I was thinking of bringing skittles, on the subject of candy, because there had been a Japanese exchange student who found them exotic when he came to visit here. The liquor is a good idea, and that wouldn't be inappropriate for 17-year-old to give a host family liquor?

Well, the first time I took liquor I was only 16. Then again, you ARE making an assumption about the kind of people they are. My first two host fathers were pretty big drinkers, and one of my host moms as well, so it went over pretty well. I had another host family who didn't really drink, but saw it as a form of celebration, like if I had brought a bottle of champagne.

There's always a chance of a gift being inappropriate. I doubt they would voice any kind of displeasure over receiving a gift, however, based on the fact that A) you're a foreigner, B) you haven't met these people, and C) you thought enough to bring something. If you feel a little uncomfortable with it, feel free to bring additional gifts. On any given trip, I've taken no less than 6 or 7 things for a 4 person family. Exotic coffee, sweets, liquor, even articles of clothing.

Of course, I haven't been to Japan yet and have never given gifts to a host family, but I've been doing some reading and here are some great ideas I've heard:
A picture book (like Life magazine does) of your state or the whole country for the host parents
T-shirts, keychains or memorabilia of your state for your host siblings
Lots of small objects like pens or pencils for any friends you may make.

My school hosted three Japanese students, one Korean, one Pakistani, one Russian and one Belgian this year. I am close friends with the Belgian, and friends also with the Pakistani and the Russian. My friend was friends with the Korean (He's gone home now) and he gave her a little necklace, a bookmark, and some Pocky while he was here. So I'm guessing we just think of similar items from the US that the Japanese will appreciate? There's my suggestion.

Lets see... I brought a few keychains with our state bird for random people, I also brought some local high quality coffee, nice matching kitchen stuff for my host mother (pot holders and spoon rest etc.) that were minnesota inspired. I also got a minnesota beer stien for my host father. needless today i got minnesota themed stuff. Oh and if you are on yfu, I did the summer program a few years ago, its was awesome! If you have any questions just message me or email me or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom