What's new

Gift ideas needed, please?

Nocturne

先輩
24 May 2010
Hi all,

I'm going to be seeing some friends soon in Tokyo (all female in their 20's) who have lived for 1-2 years in Australia (where I live), but they have now gone back home. I want to bring them some gifts, but I don't know what to get them.

The traditional 'stuffed kangaroos/boomerang' etc. is a bit pointless, since they have already been here before. And they don't like Tim Tams, so that's out too.
I don't think they are drinkers, so no wine. And though some may like cute stationary/toys - anything that I would bring them would pale in comparison to the 'cute' objects they have in Tokyo.

Does anyone have any ideas what I could buy? (Not tacky/or too expensive)

Thank you.

(Sorry, I couldn't figure out if this is the best place to ask this. If this thread needs to be moved - please do so, thanks,)

One of my ex-girlfriends when I lived in Nagoya went on a trip to Australia and she brought back some kind of bar soap that I think was made from sand...? She absolutely loved the stuff. Dunno if that was just a novelty item or whatnot, can't recall specifics exactly.

Perhaps clothing and fashion brands unique to Australia? Maybe designer T-Shirts or branded items (from one of the Australian Universities like University of Sydney or University of Melbourne). You may need to guess their shirt sizes (if you don't already know them) but this might be worth considering.

For your information,The thing which I want.
"Tasmanian Leatherwood Honey"
"Horseradish Mustard"
I'd love to try those! 👍

One of my ex-girlfriends when I lived in Nagoya went on a trip to Australia and she brought back some kind of bar soap that I think was made from sand...? She absolutely loved the stuff. Dunno if that was just a novelty item or whatnot, can't recall specifics exactly.
That would be interesting, too, if you can identify what it is!

I'd go for "organic" products, including food products, since the variety here is quite limited to the most conventional. Even "curry powder" is different in flavor and aroma when bought in other countries.

I'd love to try those! 👍
That would be interesting, too, if you can identify what it is!
I'd go for "organic" products, including food products, since the variety here is quite limited to the most conventional. Even "curry powder" is different in flavor and aroma when bought in other countries.

I would go with food too. Generally "omiyage" should be food, at least in my experience. This is probably because generally Japanese already have fairly limited storage space in their dwellings and do not need more trinkets and whatnot to clutter it up. Is there anything you know of that they maybe loved in Australia but probably cannot buy in Japan?

Something that uniquely symbolizes Australia, reminding them of why they loved it there (assuming the case lol), or has the word "Australia" written on it.

It's generous of you to think about gifts to give. But I think they will enjoy anything you bring.... even if it is food and they only enjoy Japanese food because the people appreciate your generosity, not what it is in particular.

Good luck! hope you have a great stay there. 👍

Thankyou sooo much everyone! Got some good ideas here! 👍

One of them thankfully has mentioned she misses some snacks from here (though, I'm not sure if she is referring to candy or salty snacks :?) so I'll try and buy some.

I would like to know though - are you even allowed to bring food stuffs into Japan? Australia has such severe customs, practically no food it allowed to enter.

I really don't want to get stuck at customs while they pick apart my gifts... :x

One of them thankfully has mentioned she misses some snacks from here (though, I'm not sure if she is referring to candy or salty snacks :?) so I'll try and buy some.
I would like to know though - are you even allowed to bring food stuffs into Japan? Australia has such severe customs, practically no food it allowed to enter.
I really don't want to get stuck at customs while they pick apart my gifts... :x
Customs & Quarantine Information

It appears that all suggestions posted here are OK when brought with you. 👍

Fresh fruits/vegetables and meat products are basically not allowed or subject to inspection but most snacks should be OK. Certain meat products from Australia are OK if they have inspection certificate. You can check out the details at the following websites.

Japan Animal Quarantine Service:
What Procedures are Required for Bringing Meat Products (Meat or Processed Meat Products) into Japan?
Bring animal products into Japan from overseas:動物検疫所

Plant Protection Station (Min. of Agriculture, FOrestry and FIsheries Japan)
Plant Protection Station
Regulated Articles (Articles prohibited entry/subject to import inspection etc.)

----
Edit: Oops, epigene san beat me! :)

My experience so far has been as long as it is not fresh food items, and it is sealed, I have had no trouble.

Oh, that's funny. Yeah, I think snacks and other packaged junk are pretty safe. They really are the only foreign food that goes over well in Japan (besides Chinese & Korean). 😌

Thankyou epigene and undrentide - those links were very useful :)

Looks like I'll have to declare anything edible... I wonder if they'll go through my bags... :?

There is no problem with as far as I know bringing food in Japan, as long as it isn't an "agricultural product" like fresh vegetables, fruit, rice, meat etc. Packaged snacks are not prohibited or restricted in any way, therefore you have nothing to declare. :)

Last edited:
There is no problem with as far as I know bringing food in Japan, as long as it isn't an "agricultural product" like fresh vegetables, fruit, rice, meat etc. Packaged snacks are not prohibited or restricted in any way, therefore you have nothing to declare. :)
Except for nuts. It looks like they don't accept walnuts(?)...
One of my friends has also mentioned she likes mixed nuts with raisins, hehe. I'll have to be careful which one I buy to make sure they don't have anything odd.. looks like trail mix will be out XD

Except for nuts. It looks like they don't accept walnuts(?)...
One of my friends has also mentioned she likes mixed nuts with raisins, hehe. I'll have to be careful which one I buy to make sure they don't have anything odd.. looks like trail mix will be out XD
Just don't sell it ! Because Walnuts are one of the few nuts Japan does produce as domestic supply. And of course if you think about it, they really ARE technically a fruit.... :p

Back
Top Bottom