What's new

Gift for friend going to Japan

epitome

後輩
17 Aug 2004
My friend is having a birthday soon. About a month from now, he's also heading to Japan for a 9 week study abroad program. I was thinking that something for the trip would be good. What would be a good gift for him? I was thinking a nice pair of chopsticks. Anyways, my budget is $20, negotiable. What do you all suggest? I'd like to not step on Japanese customs by buying him something they might not approve of...

A nice pair of chopsticks isn't a bad idea.

You might also consider a book bag of some sort or a nice dictionary. Something that might help him in Japan.

I'm pretty set on the chopsticks; however, he's staying with a host family and I'm not sure if bringing chopsticks from home would be considered disrespectful or not. If it is, I'm going to entertain other options and would like your suggestions.

I would think that bringing your own eatting utensils would be a bit odd to someone else's dinner table. If it is, then he simply can use them at other oppertunities such as packed lunches and such instead of cheap wooden ones.

If you are that set on chopsticks as the gift, go for it. He'll have plenty of other chances to use them.

How About...

a good book on Japan or Japanese ? Maybe tune them into reading the Forum to help prepare for their trip!

Frank

:?

He's pretty prepared for an undergrad business student. He has met several times with a Japanese family on his block, and has a solid year of the language under his belt.

Back
Top Bottom