What's new

Getting out of 1 year apartment lease

derekhhh

後輩
Reaction score
Hi there,

I signed a lease agreement and was told that even if I break it, I have to keep paying rent for 1 year. Really strange. But they didn't tell me of some rules (it's a sharedhouse), like how I can't invite friends over for example. Now I'd like to move and they said I would still have to pay every month even if I'm not there. Does anyone have any information on this?

Thanks

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
We haven't read your lease.

Did you read it before you signed it?

Have you consulted with your friend's shyster lawyer?

OoTmaster

先輩
Reaction score
I got out of my lease early here in the US. And at least here if you've signed a lease you have to pay off the remaining months even if you won't be living there. I would expect if it's stated in your lease that you're going to have to pay for that time either way.

Reaction score
I think that in most states in the US a landlord would have a duty to mitigate damages by trying to find another tenant. Also, there are landlord-tenant acts in most states that may limit a landlord's damages for breaking the lease.

I have no idea whether Japan has landlord-tenant laws, but if not the lease agreement probably controls.

AkumaBenjamin

Kouhai
Reaction score
I have a year lease as well. I'd like to get out of it, but I was told that if I left or moved out, I was allowed to. Then I asked if they'd rent the apartment to anyone else and that's when they told me, "No. Its still going to be your apartment. But you'll have to pay for it until the lease is up." I wasn't clear but I got the idea. So I asked her to clarify. The landlord told me I was responsible to pay the lease for every month, on the month when rent is due, in accordance with the lease agreement which I had signed upon my moving in here. Now I live here. I'll be here for a year. I moved in February 1st 2019, and I'm here until either I pass away from insomnia, lol, or until I move out after the lease is up... if I don't pass away from insomnia. lol I don't know if I have advice. But I was given the option to pay the lease off if I decided to be released from it before the year is up. Sorry.