What's new

GENKI I, 第5課

21 Jun 2017
Another lesson's practice/review exercises. Please let me know if I made any mistakes, and if there's any other criticism you have of my writing. :)

138頁

I. D. Answer the following questions.

1. 今日はひまですか。
ええ、休みなのでひまです。だから、少し「タンゴモン」という作っているテレビゲームにとりくんで、バファローウィングを作りました。

2. 先生はやさしいですか。
ええ、先生はやさしくてすばらしかったです。

3. 学校は大きいですか。
いいえ、行った高校は小さくないけど大きくありません。

4. 部屋はきれいですか。
いいえ、部屋はきれいではありません。

5. 日本の食べ物はおいしいですか。
ええ、過去に食べた日本の食べ物はおいしいです。

6. クラスはおもしろいですか。
ええ、たくさんのおもしろいクラスがありました。日本語やれきしや数学やコンピューターのクラスがおもしろかったです。

7. しゅくだいはむずかしいですか。
いいえ、むずかしくありませんでした。

8. あなたの町はしずかですか。
ええ、しずかです。

141頁

IV. B. Answer the following questions.

1. どんなスポーツが好きですか。
たいていスポーツは好きではありませんが、自転車にのることは好きです。

2. どんな食べ物が好きですか。
辛い食べ物が大好きです。一番好きな食べ物はタイ料理です。メキシコ料理も大好きですが、たいていもっと辛くします。

3. どんな飲み物が好きですか。
水が好きです。

4. どんな映画が好きですか。
今の映画をあまり見ませんが、たいてい有名の古い映画が好きです。例えば、スターウォーズが好きです。

5. どんな音楽が好きですか。
テレビゲームの音楽、好きです。

I'll tackle page 138 1-8

1. とういう作っているテレビゲームに取り組んで
sounds funny to me. This is a game you are making, right? If so,

だから私が作っている(開発中の、制作中の、作業中のetc)テレビゲーム「タンゴモン」に

would be better. I would also avoid starting a sentence with だから by making it all one sentence. I don't think starting a sentence with だから is wrong per se, but I think in written Japanese there are preferred alternatives. Also, since its the first time the subject of the video game comes up, you probably need to identify it as "私が作っているビデオゲーム" or maybe 私の作っているビデオゲーム. If you don't identify it as 私の it seems to appear out of the blue, and I'm left for a second trying to figure out where this video game came from.

2. Sort of sounds like the teacher died - maybe because the question is in the present tense and your answer is a definitive past tense.

3. Similar problem to your sentence #1, it sounds somehow abrupt and potentially confusing to describe things personal to you without adding 私
私が作っているテレビゲーム
私が通っていた学校 or just 私の学校. In the context of this question, I think its already clear that the question is referring to your school, so you probably don't even need to identify it at all (unless that was part of the exercise). 学校は大きいですか? いいえ、それほど大きくはありません。

5. past/present issue - the question is just, "do you find it appealing", and I think you are making it difficult by trying to qualify it. Hence by pointing out the food you ate in the past was good, it almost implies by contrast that the Japanese food you eat nowadays is not good.

Do you like Japanese food?
The food I ate in the past was good.

As a side note, I also think if you go out of your way to state "the food I ate in the past" you would also need to end the sentence in the past tense おいしかったです. In your current sentence you have narrowed the scope of your answer to "the food I ate in the past", but your adjective is present tense, and so to me that creates a bit of dissonance.

In general, it sounds as if you are trying to flex a bit of your vocab/grammar knowledge in this question and others by qualifying the nouns
作っているビデオゲーム
行った学校
過去に食べた日本の食べ物
While all good in principle, I think this is a habit coming from English, and you are trying to render your English answer into Japanese. In Japanese, if the subject is already clear (or, reasonably clear) you don't need to qualify or describe the subject any more. Hence
Is (your) school big? Yes, its big.
Do you like Japanese food? Yes I do / No I don't.
By pointing out a specific time when you liked Japanese food, it tends to become contrastive, and the listener thinks "Oh, you used to like it, but you don't like it anymore".

3. 学校は大きいですか。
いいえ、行った高校は小さくないけど大きくありません。

Use 通う instead of 行く.

Useful construction:

〜もなければ 〜もない

私が通った高校は小さくもなければ大きくもありませんでした。

自転車にのることは好きです

Not wrong, but I would use を there instead of に.

2. どんな食べ物が好きですか。
辛い食べ物が大好きです。一番好きな食べ物はタイ料理です。メキシコ料理も大好きですが、たいていもっと辛くします。

食べ物 generally has a more narrow scope than 料理, typically referring to a single dish rather than an entire category of dishes. The second sentence isn't wrong, but it does leave me waiting for the name of a particular Thai dish in clarification.

4. どんな映画が好きですか。
今の映画をあまり見ませんが、たいてい有名の古い映画が好きです。例えば、スターウォーズが好きです。

The contrastive は could replace the を.

最近 could replace 今 there.

有名 is a な adjective. 古くて有名な映画 or 昔の有名な映画 would be better. Add 名作(めいさく) to your vocabulary and you can go with 昔の名作 and sound even better. Similarly, you can use 旧作(きゅうさく) and 新作(しんさく).

新作はあまりみませんが、昔の名作が好きです。

As someone who saw Star Wars in a theater when it first carne out, I wince at hearing it referred to as an old movie....

General remarks:

Ease up on the たいてい

Try to use はい instead of ええ or at least mix a few in here and there.

Thank you for the response.

sounds funny to me. This is a game you are making, right? If so,

だから私が作っている(開発中の、制作中の、作業中のetc)テレビゲーム「タンゴモン」に

would be better.
Yes, it's a game I'm making. Actually, in retrospect, I don't know why I described it as a current ongoing thing when it's already made (I'm just working on a new version of it), but that was what I meant.

I haven't used that construction before. Just to clarify, are you suggesting against this construction?

「タンゴモン」という私が作ったゲーム

If so, what's the reason why this is less ideal than what you suggested? I'm having a hard time seeing the difference.

If you don't identify it as 私の it seems to appear out of the blue, and I'm left for a second trying to figure out where this video game came from.
I'm surprised to hear that. Is it that the sentence is just interpreting that as someone (unidentified) making the game, i.e. as opposed to a game that's already made?

Sort of sounds like the teacher died - maybe because the question is in the present tense and your answer is a definitive past tense.
Not just in this question, but any question that involved school I struggled with a bit because I am not currently a student; I graduated high school 6 years ago and only briefly tried going to a university 5 years ago. So I'm trying to answer the questions as best as I can while clarifying that it's not current. What would you suggest doing in this situation?

In the context of this question, I think its already clear that the question is referring to your school, so you probably don't even need to identify it at all (unless that was part of the exercise).
Just me trying again to re-frame the answer in the past tense. In this case, I also wanted to clarify that I was talking about the high school I went to, not the university I briefly went to (the answer would have been different in the latter case).

past/present issue - the question is just, "do you find it appealing", and I think you are making it difficult by trying to qualify it. Hence by pointing out the food you ate in the past was good, it almost implies by contrast that the Japanese food you eat nowadays is not good.
Ah, this one was different. I wasn't trying to point out the past at all, what I was trying to get across (and clearly failed at) is that I don't really know because I haven't tried much Japanese food; literally the only thing I've had that could possibly be considered in this category is instant ramen. I'm just really hesitant to give an opinion about a regional cuisine that I've only had one dish of in processed instant forms. That's just me, though; I like to withhold judgment on things I'm not very familiar with.

Perhaps I'm overthinking this. I probably should have just answered something like this:

わかりませんが、いつか食べて学びたいです。

Is that answer any good?

In general, it sounds as if you are trying to flex a bit of your vocab/grammar knowledge in this question and others by qualifying the nouns
I already explained the other two, but the first one you listed was actually just because I don't expect anyone to understand what I mean by "Tangomon" (I wouldn't even expect that of most people in English). Would you suggest something more like one of these two?

ええ、休みなのでひまだから、少し「タンゴモン」というテレビゲームにとりくんで、バファローウィングを作りました。
ええ、休みなのでひまだから、少しテレビゲーム「タンゴモン」にとりくんで、バファローウィングを作りました。

1. That isn't exactly what I was suggesting, but 「タンゴモン」という個人で作ったゲームです works for me. Or, 「タンゴモン」という自作のゲームです.

Your original text was 「タンゴモン」という作っている and that phrase alone feels like its missing something in between という and 作っている. Its lacking the who or the what is doing the making.

How about 自分が作っている「タンゴモン」というビデオゲームです。

To me, and in the context of the sentence you wrote, yes it is as if someone (some unidentified person) made the video game. While I can guess that it is you who made the video game, your sentence feels incomplete.

In this exercise and your earlier ones, the questions are framed in present tense, so your urge to reframe these in the past tense for technical accuracy is in fact making your task and our task harder. I might have said this before, but just use these as grammar lessons, not court depositions where you need to constantly correct the questioner. OR, you can continue to answer using the past tense, but be aware that by doing so you may imply a contrast that isn't intended.

In the food question your first instinct (ramen is tasty) is fine. 日本の食べ物はおいしいです or おいしいと思います. Or, try punching above your weight and go for something like ラーメンしか食べたことがないのです。いつか日本の食べ物たくさん食べたいです。

休みなのでひまだから is almost a redundancy. In this case 休み implies ひま, so I wouldn't use both of them.

はい、今日は休みなので自分で作っているビデオゲーム「タンゴモン」に少し取り組んでいます。

Are the buffalo wings part of the game, or is it completely separate? In the case of your sentences, it sounds as if they are part of the game. If they are separate you might say something like ...ビデオゲームに取り組んだり、バファローウィングを作ったりします。

And... I had the same reaction as Mike when I saw Star Wars referred to as an old movie.

Aah, Mike, you must have posted as I was posting! Sorry about that, I wasn't ignoring you, promise!

Use 通う instead of 行く.
Thanks, I'll have to learn that one.

Useful construction:

〜もなければ 〜もない

私が通った高校は小さくもなければ大きくもありませんでした。
That's another one I'll have to look up. Thanks!

Not wrong, but I would use を there instead of に.
Oh, really? For some reason I got the impression that was incorrect. Thanks!

食べ物 generally has a more narrow scope than 料理, typically referring to a single dish rather than an entire category of dishes. The second sentence isn't wrong, but it does leave me waiting for the name of a particular Thai dish in clarification.
Ah, that's good to know. Thanks! So let's amend that to...

辛い食べ物が大好きです。一番好きな料理はタイ料理です。メキシコ料理も大好きですが、もっと辛くします。

The contrastive は could replace the を.
Ah, thanks.

最近 could replace 今 there.
That looks like a word worth learning. Thanks!

有名 is a な adjective. 古くて有名な映画 or 昔の有名な映画 would be better.
Whoops. Thanks for pointing this out and for the tip on 昔.

Actually, can I clarify something? What sort of time period does 昔 cover? As in, how recent is too recent for it? Or can it be used for any time in the past?

Add 名作(めいさく) to your vocabulary and you can go with 昔の名作 and sound even better. Similarly, you can use 旧作(きゅうさく) and 新作(しんさく).
Thanks, I'll look into those.

Ease up on the たいてい
Still overdoing it, eh? Alright, thanks! One of these days I'll get it right.

Try to use はい instead of ええ or at least mix a few in here and there.
Ah, sure thing! I was actually originally doing that, but when I noticed that GENKI I always used ええ in its examples and assumed it was suggesting to only use ええ in that circumstance. I'll start back again using both of them.

Your original text was 「タンゴモン」という作っている and that phrase alone feels like its missing something in between という and 作っている. Its lacking the who or the what is doing the making.
OK, thanks! And thanks for the additional suggestions.

I might have said this before, but just use these as grammar lessons, not court depositions where you need to constantly correct the questioner.
Yeah, you're right. Sorry about that.

休みなのでひまだから is almost a redundancy. In this case 休み implies ひま, so I wouldn't use both of them.
Thanks again.

Are the buffalo wings part of the game, or is it completely separate? In the case of your sentences, it sounds as if they are part of the game. If they are separate you might say something like ...ビデオゲームに取り組んだり、バファローウィングを作ったりします。
Oh wow, that's a big one. No, they had nothing to do with the game. No flying angry buffalo wing Tangomon exist. I don't understand the grammar syntax you presented here, but thanks for the correction.

And... I had the same reaction as Mike when I saw Star Wars referred to as an old movie.
Older than the Atari VCS, in fact. ;)

P.138
1)
What do you mean by とりくむ? Were you making/revising it or playing it?

I, too, thought バファローウィング referred to a character or something in the game since it's not well-known in Japan. I would say バッファローウィングという料理を作りました instead.

2)
Not just in this question, but any question that involved school I struggled with a bit because I am not currently a student; I graduated high school 6 years ago and only briefly tried going to a university 5 years ago. So I'm trying to answer the questions as best as I can while clarifying that it's not current. What would you suggest doing in this situation?
One of the solutions is to explain why you need to use the past tense.

ええ、今は学校に通っていませんが、学生時代の先生はやさしくてすばらしかったです。

3)
There is another expression 小さくはないけれど大きくもありませんでした。

P.141)
1)
For some reason I got the impression that was incorrect.
You are correct. The correct particle is に.

I might have said this before, but just use these as grammar lessons, not court depositions where you need to constantly correct the questioner.
I totally agree with Majestic-san. It's just an exercise after all. As you can see in the example answers in the textbook, the main purpose of the chapter is to practice answering the questions with a positive or negative answer (e.g. Q: 今日はひまですか。 A: ええ、ひまです。/いいえ、ひまではありません。). It's OK to answer the questions pretending you are a student. Of course, you can practice with making more complicated sentences, but you don't need to explain your true situation honestly even in that case.

Back
Top Bottom