What's new

GENKI Iのれんしゅう、第10課

21 Jun 2017
Same as before, can someone take a look at my answers and let me know if you see any mistakes? Thanks.

I'd also like to double-check on my handwriting again. I feel like my よ and possibly my ち might be a little off. Could someone verify, and also let me know how I'm doing with the ones I was having trouble with before?

237.png 237-1.png 237-2.png
237-1a.png 237-1b.png Scanned Document.png
238.png 239.png 239-2.png

245.png 246.png
245-1.png 245-2.png
246-1.png 246-2.png

P237 Ⅰ A 8)
Read again the question more carefully. "Suzuki is taller than Yamada." is not wrong, but that's not what you are asked.

9)
Ditto.

P238 B 8)
ハロウィーンの季節なんです is understandable, but ハロウィーンの季節だからです or ハロウィーンがあるからです is more common to explain the reason.

9)
It should be ミシガンは or ミシガンでは.

P245 Ⅶ 8)
"For a week" is 1週間.

P246 Ⅷ A for Mary 3)
"For 3 weeks" is 3週間.

for Robert
The position of 2週間 should be after 飛行機で, i.e., 飛行機で2週間ロンドンに帰る or 飛行機でロンドンに2週間帰る (right before the verb is more common). 2週間飛行機でロンドンに帰る sounds like as if he is on an airplane for two weeks.

for Ken
3日 and 3日間 is completely different here. The latter is "three days", i.e., the correct wording here, but 3日 is interpreted as "the third day of a month". The position of 3日間 should be after 新幹線.

for Tom
2か月 and 2か月間 are interchangeable, but the position is wrong also here.
Penguin(s) is ンギン. It's not benguin(s), right?:emoji_wink:

I feel like my よ and possibly my ち might be a little off.
Both are not bad. Your さ, き and い are far better than before.:emoji_thumbsup:

P239 B 1)
Unlike many printed fonts, the second stroke of ク, i.e., the horizontal line starts on almost the same position of the top of the first stroke. Your one could be misread as ケ.

The second stroke of ア should start more clearly upper than the end of the first stroke. It looks like フ.

5)
It's better that the dot of ン is longer than yours, especially for the first and second ones エドゲーム・シギュラリティ. ("Singularity" is usually transliterated as シンギュリティ.)

P237 Ⅰ A 8)
Read again the question more carefully. "Suzuki is taller than Yamada." is not wrong, but that's not what you are asked.

9)
Ditto.
Ah, I see. Those should be:

8. 山田さんの方が鈴木さんより背が低いです。
9. 田中さんの方が鈴木さんよりわかいです。

Actually, come to think of it, I think I noticed my mistake in #8 back when I was doing these, but forgot about it. Whoops.

ハロウィーンの季節なんです is understandable, but ハロウィーンの季節だからです or ハロウィーンがあるからです is more common to explain the reason.
Ah, OK, thanks.

I must admit that のです / んです is jumping a head of GENKI a bit; it doesn't teach this construct until lesson 12. I still don't have a complete grasp of what differentiates these patterns from the use of から to explain a reason. Is it about the focus of the sentence (whether the focus is on the statement or the fact that it's the reason)?

9)
It should be ミシガンは or ミシガンでは.
Ah, thanks.

One of these days I'll get particles right. Hopefully.

P245 Ⅶ 8)
"For a week" is 1週間.

P246 Ⅷ A for Mary 3)
"For 3 weeks" is 3週間.
And I should know better than to use 週...

Thanks.

今年かぞくと休みに一週間行きました。来年も一週間行くつもりです。

How's that?

3日 and 3日間 is completely different here. The latter is "three days", i.e., the correct wording here, but 3日 is interpreted as "the third day of a month". The position of 3日間 should be after 新幹線.
Oh, I didn't know that one. Thanks. There was a time when I wondered what the proper counter is for a number of days, but I never found one so I dropped it.

Question: what about 一日間? That's filled in by my IME (Anthy), but I don't find it on Jisho.org, instead I just see 一日(いちにち). Can you clarify what's correct?

So let's give that a try:

チェルシーさんはアリゾナに4日間行くつもりです。

Penguin(s) is ペンギン. It's not benguin(s), right?:emoji_wink:
Whoops...

I have no excuse for writing a 点々 when I obviously should be writing a 丸.

Both are not bad. Your さ, き and い are far better than before.:emoji_thumbsup:
Ah! That's nice to hear.

Unlike many printed fonts, the second stroke of ク, i.e., the horizontal line starts on almost the same position of the top of the first stroke. Your one could be misread as ケ.
Ah, I never heard that, but now that you mention it I can see it clearly written the way you describe in the katakana chart on the back cover of GENKI I. Thanks!

The second stroke of ア should start more clearly upper than the end of the first stroke. It looks like フ.
Thanks again. Actually, I don't know how on Earth I was possessed to write ア that way. So that's another thing to correct.

5)
It's better that the dot of ン is longer than yours, especially for the first and second ones エンドゲーム・シンギュラリティ. ("Singularity" is usually transliterated as シンギュラリティ.)
Thanks for both of these.

I do struggle quite a bit with ン. That's definitely one to work on.

8. 山田さんの方が鈴木さんより背が低いです。
9. 田中さんの方が鈴木さんよりわかいです。
:emoji_thumbsup:

I must admit that のです / んです is jumping a head of GENKI a bit; it doesn't teach this construct until lesson 12. I still don't have a complete grasp of what differentiates these patterns from the use of から to explain a reason. Is it about the focus of the sentence (whether the focus is on the statement or the fact that it's the reason)?
から is more appropriate to show the cause/reason clearly or directly. ん/のです is more indirect. So, similarly, 日本車のほうがいいと思います。父が乗っているからです。 is more common also for #6. (Actually, this might confuse you, but I would say 実は父も乗っているんです instead.)

今年かぞくと休みに一週間行きました。
夏休みに/休みの日に location name に一週間行きました sounds more natural. There is a set expression "the -masu stem of verb + に行く", meaning "to go somewhere to do something (e.g. 買いに行く, 食べに行く)", so 休みに行く could sound like "to go somewhere to rest".

Question: what about 一日間? That's filled in by my IME (Anthy), but I don't find it on Jisho.org, instead I just see 一日(いちにち). Can you clarify what's correct?
間 is not used with 1日. It's for days more than two, so you need to use particles or other words to differentiate the meaning in this case.

9月1日アリゾナに行くつもりです。
1日にアリゾナに行くつもりです。
1日の土曜日、アリゾナに行くつもりです。
(Note that the reading of 1日 is ついたち when it refers to the first day of a month.)

1日だけアリゾナに行くつもりです。
1日中アリゾナに行くつもりです。
丸1日アリゾナに行くつもりです。

There is no problem without 間 if 日 obviously indicates the period of time, for instance the verb is used only with a time period.
e.g.
日本に帰るまで2日(間)かかった。
It took two days to get back to Japan.
(間 is optional here since かかる is not used with a date.)

However, 行く can be used with a date, so 間 is necessary to avoid being misinterpreted.

チェルシーさんはアリゾナに4日間行くつもりです。
Perfect!

夏休みに/休みの日に location name に一週間行きました sounds more natural. There is a set expression "the -masu stem of verb + に行く", meaning "to go somewhere to do something (e.g. 買いに行く, 食べに行く)", so 休みに行く could sound like "to go somewhere to rest".
Ah, thanks for the tip. GENKI actually mentioned those kinds of formulations as well. I guess I'm just still not quite used to the fact that 休む is "to rest" and 休み is "vacation". It's so interesting sometimes how differently the vocabulary of two languages can work.

I suppose 日 in this case means "event"?

間 is not used with 1日.
Alright, sounds good. Thanks!

じゃあ…

1日(いちにち)
2日間(ふつかかん)
3日間(みっかかん)

9日間(ここのかかん)
10日間(とおかかん)
11日間(じゅういちにちかん)

14日間(じゅうよっかかん)

20日間(はつかかん)

24日間(にじゅうよっかかん)
25日間(にじゅうごにちかん)

などですね。

(And hopefully I didn't screw up that simple construction just now?)

There is no problem without 間 if 日 obviously indicates the period of time, for instance the verb is used only with a time period.
Good to know. Thanks!

I suppose 日 in this case means "event"?
It's a day/days.

じゃあ…

1日(いちにち)
2日間(ふつかかん)
3日間(みっかかん)

9日間(ここのかかん)
10日間(とおかかん)
11日間(じゅういちにちかん)

14日間(じゅうよっかかん)

20日間(はつかかん)