What's new

Game soundtracks

Winter

Gag me with a spoon
19 Nov 2003
I remember years ago, when in the ending credits, game music was created by official 'game composers'. I've always wanted to be one, and I still plan to be one when I retire, or at least have time, from my music career as a musician.

Anyway, remember the older game soundtracks? Back in the day, with the original Sonic games, Flashback, Lufia, those older ones.

Then you got the newfangled games today with the pop artists singing tunes and jizzyjazz like that.

Anyway, for those of you 'retro' gamers, which older game had a great soundtrack?

Everybody knows the original Chrono Trigger had a smashing soundtrack, but so did Breath of Fire 2. The ending battle theme to Shining Force 2 also had a really great soundtrack.

The aforementioned Flashback game had one of the best ending themes ever made. The original Starfox had a great opening theme and ending theme; reminded me of Superman.

I also liked the Master System version of Phantasy Star one's cyber-dungeon theme. PS 2's field theme was great, and the entire soundtrack of PS 4 was phenomenal.

What are some of your favorite older soundtracks?

Personally, I always loved the NES Ninja Gaiden themes. All of them were interesting and pretty rockin' for an 8-bit mono cart!

Stepping into somewhat old scholl territory, I would have to say that I loved the remix version of the Street Fighter Alpha tunes for PSX. They had this funk/bluesy jazz thing going on, seriously cool. I still have that disc just for the music.

Genesis CD had the ever cool Tommy Tollarico do the music for The Terminator.

So many memories, too many... Not enough time to list.

Ant

I loved "Shadow of the beast" on Commodore 64, and the street fighter series had rocking music too !! :LOL:

When talking about old retro games...I have to mention some of the Commodore 64 games I had which had a "soundtrack" I still remember today:

-Bubble Bobble.
-Diana sisters. ( i think it was called...a platform game like Mario Bros..just sisters instead.
-Wonderboy.

Did the original even have a soundtrack?

I remember during the levels it was mostly silence.

Back
Top Bottom