What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Gallery Question

ArmandV

Eight Times To Japan
Contributor
Reaction score
I noticed a posted photo of mine was removed from the gallery last night. Why? All it contained was a man feeding sea gulls on a boat in Matsushima Bay. Seems rather odd. Who makes these judgments?

Maciamo

Twirling dragon
Reaction score
It may not be a good idea to post pictures of other people than you, except if their job is to be photographed (like racequeens, models...) or you know them personally. A crowd or people appearing too small to be recognised is ok though.

ArmandV

Eight Times To Japan
Contributor
Reaction score
Maciamo said:
It may not be a good idea to post pictures of other people than you, except if their job is to be photographed (like racequeens, models...) or you know them personally. A crowd or people appearing too small to be recognised is ok though.

That's all well and good, but shouldn't you have asked me the background and circumstances of the shot first? The gent in the photo was one of the workers on the boat and I spent some time talking to him. He was quite friendly and we talked about my father's stint as a U.S. Army MP in Sendai and Matsushima (before going over to Korea) in 1951. I also have video of him feeding the gulls.

Generally speaking, I don't just run up to people and just shoot them (which seems to be the assumption here). There's another photo that I took at the Gamera premiere. They knew ahead of time (from my press badge) that I was covering the event for a magazine and I talked to them as well.

If newspapers and magazines used your criteria for photos, then there'd be a lot of blank pages. In the future, please don't be so arbitrary. If you have a question, ask.

Top Bottom