What's new

Gaijin working in Japan?

Museigen

後輩
21 Jan 2004
Hey all...maybe you guys can advise me on what to do. I'll be in Japan for 2-3 months this summer in Nagano staying at a friends house. I'm an American citizen. What kinds of jobs are available without a work visa? Can you work with a tourist visa or visiting visa? How do you find under the table kinds of jobs over there? Can you teach English without a visa? I can speak a little Japanese..What you guys think?

Last edited:
hmm...

It just depends on connections... working under the table is usually better when you can speak really good japanese... since it's less of a hassel for the person that will be employing you.

As for getting a work visa... it's quite hard and more than likely you won't be able to get a job with any company for that short of time.

Then again it depends on your skills and who you know~

working in a bar? from what amer/jpn peeps have told me
but i've heard that it's treated rather harshly? with detention/deportation...
hopefully some of the esl will jump in with a few stories?

I see I see...I agree that having "connections" would extremely be helpfull....which I do not =\... Anything else doable?

English teaching...Of course...If you're doing it "under the table" so to speak I don't think it would matter if you knew how to teach or not, most people who would come to you wouldn't be coming to learn English, per say.

Wouldn't reccomend it though.

Originally posted by SacredBlue
English teaching...Of course...If you're doing it "under the table" so to speak I don't think it would matter if you knew how to teach or not, most people who would come to you wouldn't be coming to learn English, per say.

Wouldn't reccomend it though.

I agree....What do you mean by most people comming to me wouldn't be comming to learn English? You mean they just want to meet a gaijin?

in answer to the thread, try working holiday?
homes may have just been punning about the under the table thing? he'll probably clarify

Americans are not issued "working holiday" visas because the U.S. Gov't won't reciprocate. So it's mostly for Aussies, New Zealanders, Canadian, and other non-U.S. English speakers.

To teach English, even short-term, you need a BA degree.

I assume you're a guy. You could try working a "Host" bar where women come to sit, drink, and chat with male hosts. A Gaijin stud might be a welcome addition to the staff. I've seen documentaries on these kinds of bars where women blow 100,000 Yen (about a grand) in one night. I have no idea why any woman would want to go to such a place (or a man to go to a hostess bar, for that matter). However, these bars exist only in larger cities. And furthermore, you'd be working under the table, i.e., illegally.

my bad! i have ignoring those flag thingies again :eek:
"because the U.S. Gov't won't reciprocate."
didn't know that! thanks for the info!

yeah, that's a great suggestion!
i just ran a search over there with the word "deport" and came up with some good info
thanks for the link!

Back
Top Bottom