What's new

gaijin prisoners get better treatment?

den4

先輩
15 Nov 2002
"As soon as something doesn't go their way, they contact their embassy and complain, creating a fuss. Those working directly with the foreigners don't want to be implicated in any diplomatic situations."
---Former prison warder Toshio Sakamoto, on why foreign prisoners get better treatment than Japanese inmates. (Shukan Taishu)

more input at:
http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=quote&id=810

When was the last time anyone heard of a "diplomatic situation" caused by an arrest in Japan on the evening news? If they treated ALL prisioners to humane conditions, timely access to lawyers and basically bring their prision system up to international standards, I think it would go a long way to helping Mr. Sakamoto with his pressing concerns over "diplomatic situations." If you read any accounts of foreigners in Japanese prisions, is it any surprise they try everything they can to get out ASAP? I hope the Japan Times puts out a full article soon.

Yakuza cry and beg !!

When I worked bouncer at a Japanese bar in Fukuoka, I saw many strong guys breakdown when put under arrest. They were terrified of the police !!

Frank

So, Ghetto, are you saying that they should rename the prisons as Crimins for the Criminals? :D

That'd add another engrish word to their already abundant resources.... :D

Originally posted by den4
So, Ghetto, are you saying that they should rename the prisons as Crimins for the Criminals? :D

I'm not saying that.

Josh

Well, Japan just needs time to fully open itself out, it's coming along fine, there's a lot more racism going on in places like South Korea and China; and there are no foreigners (not even South Koreans) allowed in North Korea, so Japan is fine.

Originally posted by den4

:D From now on, I'll have to read your posts while not drinking anything...

yeah, some alcoholic drinks can give different meanings to some sayings... :D

No, I didn't even have to be drinking alcohol for that! What I meant was that my laughing at that post almost caused me to involuntarily wash my computer screen because I had taken a drink of water right when I got to it. It just struck me as really funny, okay?! :p

When I hear criminal I think of Michael Jackson. No, not in the that sense--although it could be that too--but in the "Smooth Criminal" sense. I keep hearing that song...

I wonder what the prisoners in the jail cell hear when they are in prison....from what I've seen on news programs, it didn't look anything like what I've seen in US prisons... :(

Back
Top Bottom