What's new

Gaijin Fashion

vendettaseve

後輩
25 Feb 2008
Just wondering what the accepted fashion is for Gaijin, or if there really was one at all. I dress pretty commonly for where Im from and the style of music I listen to. Being mostly all black, Jeans Tshirts and Zip up hoodies, I also wear cowboy boots on occasion.

Does any of that really matter tho? Or will I turn heads for being white in general haha.

A brother of mine lives down there already, and he tells me people stare at him everywhere he goes. He lives in Nara.

Just be yourself and wear what you are comfortable with. The Japanese will respect you for that and, if they find it cool, may even emulate you. Hey, you could be the start of new fashion trend!

Sounds fair. I was just curious as to what is acceptable and whats not. As some cultures tend to be offended by things other cultures dont have a problem with, know what I mean?

In Japan everything is fair game in an informal situation like partying or going out when you're off of work or on a date. In Japan dressing "Black" these days is considered cool and trendy so it would not matter if you were white because even the Japanese do it!

In formal situations like weddings, work, etc. there is a dress code and you will learn that soon enough if, and when, you are living there.

Yes I intend to live there. Im bringing two or three full suits with me for work and formal occasions.

Some of the worst dressed people I have ever seen happen to be other foreigners living here but hey that's just my opinion. Do as everyone else has suggested and just wear whatever you want and feel comfortable in. For formal/business attire it is best to blend in. In other words, you will already stick out being a foreigner so no need to wear that gaudy Tabasco-brand neck tie with the little chili pepper pattern on it that you got as a gag gift. Just go with the flow.

Back
Top Bottom