Votes: 76 58.0%

• Total voters

Ophelia

先輩
13 Jan 2006
just curious y'know:p...
a3d07d3a-1.jpg

Last edited:
Gackt is, like, sooo many times prettier. I find Hyde's face boring. And yes, I've looked at all the Hyde pics you posted.

whaaat??T___Tbutterbrickle!you are heartless! >.< i will not argue with you..it will take 7 pages to argue about tastes (and how naturally pretty hyde is).😊

hmmm..

😄
hydexgackt-1.jpg

God..they look good aren't they??

I like both but in my very personal opinion Gackt is prettier!!! But I think both are very talented...I really dont like to compare them but Ill vote Gackt all the way (dont kill me ok? lol)

Is the question who is prettier or just who we like more? I like Hyde a lot more because I find his voice absolutely stunning (when it wants to be). He has such amazing control, falsettos, I love Hyde. Gackt has a nice voice, too, but I don't think he has as naturally great of a voice as Hyde does. Hyde is one of my favorite male vocalists of all time, though, so maybe I'm a tad biased. I think Hyde is much better looking too, but that's because I prefer humans over ... plastic? j/k

I find Gackt's voice absolutely stunning. He has amazing control & falsettos, too. I haven't heard enough of Hyde's songs to tell, but it sounds like smoking did some bad things to his voice. At least in Season's Call and Orenji no Taiyou his range didn't sound so amazing. But it irks me how everyone thinks Gackt is plastic. He isn't, and even if he is it's only a little.

butterbrickle said:
I find Gackt's voice absolutely stunning. He has amazing control & falsettos, too. I haven't heard enough of Hyde's songs to tell, but it sounds like smoking did some bad things to his voice. At least in Season's Call and Orenji no Taiyou his range didn't sound so amazing. But it irks me how everyone thinks Gackt is plastic. He isn't, and even if he is it's only a little.

Yeah, Gackt's voice is great too, but it's so ...trained? That's not a bad thing, but I think Hyde naturally has a better voice than Gackt (with no vocal training or anything like that). Laruku songs like Anemone or Hitomi no Jyuunin show what I mean by just natural singing talent. Like I said, Hyde is one of my all-time favorite male vocalists, so my views on this are way biased. Smoking has probably screwed his voice a little, but I don't think too much, he hit all the notes on the Smile DVD (2004) from their American show. He's lucky in that way I think. His most recent songs, he's going for a more 'rock' feel, that's why I think his voice is like that, but I'm pretty sure he can pull out the goods if he really wanted to, that's just not the sound he's going for. I'm rambling...

and don't worry, I def think Gackt has had plastic surgery, but he's still cute 👍

sunsweet said:
Yeah, Gackt's voice is great too, but it's so ...trained? That's not a bad thing, but I think Hyde naturally has a better voice than Gackt (with no vocal training or anything like that). Laruku songs like Anemone or Hitomi no Jyuunin show what I mean by just natural singing talent. Like I said, Hyde is one of my all-time favorite male vocalists, so my views on this are way biased. Smoking has probably screwed his voice a little, but I don't think too much, he hit all the notes on the Smile DVD (2004) from their American show. He's lucky in that way I think. His most recent songs, he's going for a more 'rock' feel, that's why I think his voice is like that, but I'm pretty sure he can pull out the goods if he really wanted to, that's just not the sound he's going for. I'm rambling...
and don't worry, I def think Gackt has had plastic surgery, but he's still cute 👍
I have no idea what songs you're talking about, but if you're contemptuous of Gackt's voice because it's too "trained" (whatever that sounds like?), it makes no sense. It's the end result that matters, not the natural "talent".
Why do you think Gackt's plastic? I've seen just as ugly pics of Hyde and I don't think he's plastic.

EDIT: About the natural singing talent... Here's an excerpt from Jihaku on Cool Like Plastic.

(The other person is You, Gackt's violinist, way back at the beginning of Gackt's first band, Cain's Feel.)

"However, the biggest thing was that we didn't have a vocalist. At the time, we said to each other, "Ah, we haven't got a vocalist," and then half jokingly, I said "I wonder if I can do it."

But then, You, who was commonly a gentle person, burst out, "Don't be ridiculous!" [4]

"It's not ridiculous!" I said back. We argued back and forth. At any rate, it was a confusing mess.

At that time, I really hated my voice. I never sang in front of other people. Neither You nor I knew anything about singing.

"Well, if it's not ridiculous, then in a week, try singing these songs," You said. He was still giving me grief about it.

So I said, "All right. I'll sing!""

I know enough, MORE than enough, about both Hyde and Gackt, I don't need a lesson. I've read Jihaku. I am a fan of both artists. All I'm saying is that Gackt's voice doesn't have the natural ability to grab me in the way that Hyde's does. It is just a good singing voice, nothing more nothing less. Hyde has a certain Je ne sais quoi that he brings to songs sometimes that blows me away and it doesn't feel like something a teacher taught him when he does it. Gackt is barely in my top 10 when it comes to Jrock vocals, so this argument isn't going to go anywhere. For example, Asagi from D has an absolutely AMAZING voice, there is no doubt in that, but many people after a while tire of his voice because it sounds "too trained", "too much vibrato", and "fake". These are all words I've heard in direct regards to his voice. Though I love Asagi and D because they're absolutely awesome, there are certain artists that have that raw emotion in their voice that you don't necessarily get from an artist like Asagi or even Gackt, it's not something that can be taught. Other vocalists that have that 'raw talent' emotion thing I'm talking about are Hizumi (D'espairsRay), Mao (Sid), and Tatsurou (MUCC). Hyde has a certain rawness to his voice, realness, I will once again say 'je ne sais quoi' about his voice that puts him ahead of Gackt in my book, just like the other artists I listed. You do realize that we're never going to agree on this, the argument is pointless.

As I said, I'm a Gackt fan. It's weird to compare him to Hyde for me because the vocals are so different, and I'm comparing them based on vocals alone. I'm not "contemptuous" of Gackt's voice, that makes me laugh. I'm just comparing the two artists on what, for me, separates them the most.

I didn't call Gackt ugly, I called him plastic, i.e. plastic surgery. I use the word "plastic" because his face has changed in ways that aren't natural after years pass. If you're in denial of his plastic surgery, there's nothing more that I can say than take a good look at some pictures from early Malice Mizer days and now. Compare, contrast, see.

ETA:
Niji (live)
^That's why I love the man.

and check out Tetsu's outfit ^^, talk about 'funny jrock looks'

Hitomi no Jyuunin (PV) -

Anemone (PV angles 1 & 2 with fansubs)

Last edited:
yeah i think hyde's singing definitely one aspect why im so obsessed with him, gackts got nice voice too but i just cant enjoy it as much i enjoy hyde, it's kinda more boring?too much vibrato?and hyde's just got more "sincere" feeling...but i really like dybbuk, and mind forest:)

btw, i just got this hyde "human" picture, lolz.. :giggle:
kawaii05-1.jpg

Gakuto san all the way. I think he has the perfect face. Doesnt matter if it looks plastic, its out of this world..something you cant find in the human world..unnhuman..animation-like lol flawless. ;]

butterbrickle said:

Say that about hyde's voice after you hear a few more songs. I could tell you that Gackt doesn't sound all that impressive either in Fragrance, Arittake no ai de and Orenji no Taiyou. I'm making this judgment after hearing 4 of his albums and 5 of his singles so I do know that Gackt also has some good songs.

I'd like to list a few of my favourite L'Arc songs where I think hyde also demonstrates amazing control & falsettos:

Dune
Taste of Love

^ This was before they signed up with Sony. hyde sang these songs with NO PROFESSIONAL VOCAL TRAINING WHATSOEVER.

Niji
Farewell
Loreley
Flower
Kasou <---- This song owns my heart.
Shinjitsu to Gensou to
Finale
Jiyuu e no Shoutai

LeeHomGangguinOrgPacaran-1.jpg

gakutohyde_ass-1.jpg
wonder where were they going..(hentai minded):p
bench-1.jpg

GacHY-1.jpg

discussion-1.jpg

i voted hyde, no doubt bout that:p

sunsweet said:
I know enough, MORE than enough, about both Hyde and Gackt, I don't need a lesson. I've read Jihaku. I am a fan of both artists. All I'm saying is that Gackt's voice doesn't have the natural ability to grab me in the way that Hyde's does. It is just a good singing voice, nothing more nothing less. Hyde has a certain Je ne sais quoi that he brings to songs sometimes that blows me away and it doesn't feel like something a teacher taught him when he does it. Gackt is barely in my top 10 when it comes to Jrock vocals, so this argument isn't going to go anywhere. For example, Asagi from D has an absolutely AMAZING voice, there is no doubt in that, but many people after a while tire of his voice because it sounds "too trained", "too much vibrato", and "fake". These are all words I've heard in direct regards to his voice. Though I love Asagi and D because they're absolutely awesome, there are certain artists that have that raw emotion in their voice that you don't necessarily get from an artist like Asagi or even Gackt, it's not something that can be taught. Other vocalists that have that 'raw talent' emotion thing I'm talking about are Hizumi (D'espairsRay), Mao (Sid), and Tatsurou (MUCC). Hyde has a certain rawness to his voice, realness, I will once again say 'je ne sais quoi' about his voice that puts him ahead of Gackt in my book, just like the other artists I listed. You do realize that we're never going to agree on this, the argument is pointless.
Like I said, I'm a Gackt fan. It's weird to compare him to Hyde for me because the vocals are so different, and I'm comparing them based on vocals alone. I'm not "contemptuous" of Gackt's voice, that makes me laugh. I'm just comparing the two artists on what, for me, separates them the most.
I didn't call Gackt ugly, I called him plastic, i.e. plastic surgery. I use the word "plastic" because his face has changed in ways that aren't natural after years pass. If you're in denial of his plastic surgery, there's nothing more that I can say then take a good look at some pictures from early Malice Mizer days and now. Compare, contrast, see.
ETA:
Niji (live) -
^That's why I love the man.
and check out Tetsu's outfit ^^, talk about 'funny jrock looks'
Hitomi no Jyuunin (PV) -

Anemone (PV angles 1 & 2 with fansubs) -

For me it's exactly the opposite. I call it different tastes. Whatever. As for plastic surgery, I've seen more than enough early Gackt pictures and researched cosmetic surgery etc. and I don't think he's plastic. I'm not in denial; I'm being skeptical and considering all factors instead of jumping to conclusions, like a LOT of people do after seeing his ugly pictures. But I'm very willing to believe he's plastic given enough evidence.
(By plastic I mean massive surgery i.e. Ayu, not slight modifications like botox.)
elanor said:
Say that about hyde's voice after you hear a few more songs. I could tell you that Gackt doesn't sound all that impressive either in Fragrance, Arittake no ai de and Orenji no Taiyou. I'm making this judgment after hearing 4 of his albums and 5 of his singles so I do know that Gackt also has some good songs.
I'd like to list a few of my favourite L'Arc songs where I think hyde also demonstrates amazing control & falsettos:
Dune
Taste of Love
^ This was before they signed up with Sony. hyde sang these songs with NO PROFESSIONAL VOCAL TRAINING WHATSOEVER.
Niji
Farewell
Loreley
Flower
Kasou <---- This song owns my heart.
Shinjitsu to Gensou to
Finale
Jiyuu e no Shoutai
I've heard all those Gackt songs and IMO he sounded great, and better than Hyde in orenji. I'm not sure where you guys are going with the professional vocal training thing, since 1) why does it even MATTER? 2) The Jihaku excerpt I quoted says something about Gackt's natural voice, too. But whatever. I'll check the songs out.

Last edited by a moderator:
butterbrickle said:
I've heard all those Gackt songs and IMO he sounded great, and better than Hyde in orenji. I'm not sure where you guys are going with the professional vocal training thing, since 1) why does it even MATTER? 2) The Jihaku excerpt I quoted says something about Gackt's natural voice, too. But whatever. I'll check the songs out.
EDIT: sorry for doubleposting, but I'm not sure how to get rid of this.
Well Orenji no Taiyo is technically a Gackt song. You can't even hear hyde properly in it. hyde was more of 'guest' singer in it. Orenji no Taiyo isn't really a "hyde" song so please don't make judgment on that.

I know you've probably heard all those Gackt songs, being the Gackt fan you are. I wasn't recommending those songs to you. I was merely using them as an example as you did with your argument about hyde in Orenji no Taiyo and Season's Call. I WAS recommending the list of hyde songs that you hadn't heard of.

I'll agree with you that each person has different tastes and that Gackt voice might simply sound better to you but that's his voice you're talking about. Not singing talent thus, with just "he sounds better" doesn't make Gackt the better singer. Gackt has a good singing voice: it's low, smooth, deep and emotional but hyde can play and do wonders with subtle tones that can turn an ordinary song into something is a haunting shadow or angelic aura.

If you like Gackt then good for you, but I'd like it if you didn't flatter him at the expense of hyde.

I wasn't arguing that Gackt's voice is better than Hyde's. I was arguing that Hyde's voice isn't better than Gackt's. If it came off that way, oops. Oh, and I listened to some more Hyde songs and I'm fairly ready to be obsessed with him. >> I heart the live performance of C'est La Vie.

Yeah, but can Gackt play the saxophone?

HA, gotcha beat! j/k

and can he, um ... uh ... cry to Spanish subtitles? (Lol, I'm trying to think of something here)

lol, I love L'Arc~en~Ciel ^^

... actually thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised if Gackt could play sax.

Can Hyde play shamisen, then?

I've no clue what instruments Hyde plays, btw.

And does he look as good in a nurse outfit?

(Actually he might...)

Gackt came from a better off family than hyde where his parents
encouraged him to study musical instruments at an early age. Gackt
says so himself in an interview that at first it was his mother who
forced him to play the piano but later on he grew to love it for
himself and is very grateful for his mother.

hyde on the other hand learnt most of his instruments when he became
independent later on in his musical career (in his twenties and late
twenties). For someone who started so late, he has learnt to be a
great guitarist and can hold his own on drums and bass. He can also
play the saxophone, harmonica, a decent bit of piano and random
instruments he had to touch on to work with for pieces of music.

From personal experience I find that very impressive.

I play and studied these instruments in this order; the piano (since 6
yrs old), saxophone (in my primary school band. 8 yrs old and onward),
the Chinese version of the koto (11 yrs old) and finally the violin.

I'm thinking of quitting the violin since I only started learning it
at the age of 14. Most violinists learn to play from around 8 years
old or younger. My teacher says that the fact that I was so involved
with other instruments helped in me studying the violin and get to the
level I am now: 7. If I stop studying seriously I'd likely forget a
lot of what I've learnt.

The thought of forgetting makes me wanna cry no matter how I may hate
the violin sometimes when I'm frustrated. Pouring at least 3 hours a
day into an instrument for 5 years can do that to you.

Playing a music instrument at an early age effects the brain's
development. I'm right handed but I can do some things with my left
hand better than my right. The left hemisphere of my brain takes over
some actions that normally the right hemisphere handles. Even the way
I process information, take class notes and brainstorm is messy (which
my parents hated until my music teacher told them it was normal).

I'm aware that Gackt is a master of something like 8 instruments and
it made me go "OMFG" when I first found out. So I'm very impressed by
Gackt's determination and talent with instruments but taking into
consideration the environment hyde had to study music, I'd respect him
whatever the number of instruments he can play or the level he can
play it at.

p.s.

hyde's never posed as a nurse but he makes one hellava cute high
school girl. 😊

elanor said:
Playing a music instrument at an early age effects the brain's
development. I'm right handed but I can do some things with my left
hand better than my right.
I'm interested that you say that - I'm the same and I always wondered if it was something to do with playing guitar since I was big enough to get my arm over one. XD. But I can't do a re-run of my life without playing the guitar, to test my level of ambidexterity! :D

It's not just ambidexterity. Try that finger game the Utaban hosts made L'Arc do (where Ken has a clear advantage over Yuki) or try this:

Hold out the hand you use less in front of you. Right handers use your left hand, left handers use your right.

If you want a certain finger to move it moves right?

Now fold your fingers into a fist and hold it behind your back but make sure you can still see your fingers.

Get a friend to stand behind you and point to a specific finger without touching it and try to move that one finger.

If you play a musical instrument, especially one that requires finger dexterity, this shouldn't be too hard for you. Most of my friends who don't play instruments found it difficult and took a long time figuring out which finger it was and how to move it. Most older people who don't play instruments, you'll find won't be able to do this at all.

I voted for Haido. Gackt kinda bothers me now, I used to be a huge fan but not now. I don't hate him or anything like that I'm just not ga-ga for him. The Chauvinism problem is also a major turn off since I am a Feminist. :cautious: I still listen to some of his music every blue moon but pretty much the only way I'll listen to him is if it's the duet he did with Hyde, "Orenji no Taiyou" (although I do still listen to "Secret Garden", "uncontrol" and "Vanilla" occasionally). I think Hyde is a better artist to be completely frank; better actor, better singer, better lyricist...better LOOKING even though Gackt is definitely gorgeous, the list goes on and on (and I think he's a better person too, not that Gackt's a BAD person but yeah). I mean, I do still love Gackt just nowhere NEAR as much as I once did and not as much as Hyde. Hyde is just such a bundle of joy, who wouldn't love him? :)
Also, Lives make or break an artist for me and Hyde's better Live. Not "better" vocally ('cause in that respect Gackt's better Live then on recordings which makes me sick) but emotionally. He just lets his emotions go whereas Gackt is always in control, even when he's crying he is still in control. Nothing seems to happen organically with Gackt, it all seems staged or contrived. Hyde is very human on stage and I connect with him emotionally whenever I see him perform. His emotions don't feel planned, they simply bubble up naturally.

Back
Top Bottom