What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Free hugs anyone?

craftsman

Reaction score
You may have seen the "free hugs" video on Youtube about a man offering a hug to passers-by in the street. Well, some Japanese people were so impressed they decided to try something similar.

nn20061226f1a-1.jpg

A man from Sendai was the first to create a free hug community with around 2000 Japanese huggers. He said:

No preparation or special skills are needed -- other than a placard and the courage to smile at strangers with open arms.
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20061226f1.html

However, on his first day on the street he got a grand total of only 4 hugs. It might just be me, but I think he's got his work cut out for him in Japan.

So I was wondering what I would do if greeted by the said huggers. Would I be No.5?

Because I've got nothing better to do, I narrowed it down to a number of key factors:

• whether the person looked like a loony
  • how good-looking the hugger is
  • my mood - if it's bad, everyone gets a 'bugger off'
  • whether the person looked in any way like a religious nut
  • whether I have had my quota of cuddles for that day (unlikely me thinks)

So, maybe, just maybe, I could have been No.5. But seeing as I am in the middle of nowhere and the chances of the hug campaign coming to the southern islands, I'm off to hug a monkey.

Would you hug or not?

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
As an uptight American that likes his personal space, I'm not sure if I'd be willing to let a stranger hug me outside of special circumstances. On the other hand, I think the free hug campaign is a sweet idea, and if I were so inclined, wouldn't mind handing out the hugs. Perhaps I'm more open to the idea of hugging a stranger if I'm the one initiating it?

taehyun

先輩
Reaction score
I'm like a cat- I love hugs and being cuddled...But only if the person smells well ( perfume or at least soap!!!)
Prrrrr....

Top Bottom