What's new

Forum-User Gender, what do you think of this upgrade?

Welcome to our Japan community!

A discussion forum for all Things Japanese. Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

yukio_michael

後輩
Reaction score
I'm curious what people think about this upgrade. Do you feel that it helps you understand someone's point of view when you know what gender they are. Do you think that this information should be something that the user be forced to impart to you?

Personally, sometimes with users having avatars of their favourite singers, or of their girlfriends or some such thing, it does help to know, oh, that picture isn't this person... I'm not sure I always need to know otherwise. On second hand, in a open and adult conversation, their shouldn't be anything which demands that the gender of a participant is a secret.

I don't often see it on many forums. I'm wondering what the reasoning behind it was, and what other forum users think about it.

Elizabeth

先輩
Reaction score
I also don't understand the reason for it but it personally hasn't made any difference in how I perceive members or relate to the people here. I haven't even been really particularly surprised by the results although the few I have wondered about is anyone that has obviously gotten it wrong....:p

Revenant

後輩
Reaction score
Actually I am quite happy about it. Sometimes I get people on other forums saying they like my picture. 'Err.. actually I don't have a picture on this forum, and that's Scarlett Johansonn's pic you like, not mine'. Also a few people have mistaken me for a female based on my avvie, so the gender thing should make this clear to anyone wondering otherwise.

Clawn

The Wise *****
Reaction score
I also am happy with this new feature. I used to have to guess at the gender of some users. It is a very troublesome thing to have to try and have a discussion with someone without knowing their gender. This new feature helps.👍

Reaction score
What if someone is a he/she? What if some of the people coming here aren't human? OMFG WHY DO WE NEED TO KNOW WHO HAS A PENIS!!?!?​
I FINALLY KNOW THE ANSWERS TO LIFE ITSELF!!!1onetwoone&​
Or do I...?! o_O

DoctorP

先輩
Reaction score
LOL...there is always more than one way to look at a situation!

leonmarino

Back
Reaction score
Sometimes I get people on other forums saying they like my picture. 'Err.. actually I don't have a picture on this forum, and that's Scarlett Johansonn's pic you like, not mine'.
Hahaha!! You had me fooled!! I thought you were a really hot girl!! 😌

Anyways, I don't think it is necessary (even though I had the hots for Revenant).. The fun thing about a forum imo is that everyone is more or less anonymous, and that there is no way you can be discriminated against because of your gender, location or whatever.

But in essense I am indifferent to the upgrade.

ricecake

先輩
Reaction score
we just need to know those who don't have one! :)

I am always mistaken as someone who has one,judging on my posts :eek: 😄

A few individuals would fudge profile,I don't bother with validity of any informations given in cyberspace.

dreamer

後輩
Reaction score
It'd definetly avoid me receiving PM asking me into marriage XD

JimmySeal

Tubthumper
Reaction score
I think that the gender option is a nice upgrade, but I don't see why members should be required to specify their gender.

Tsuyoiko

DON'T PANIC!
Reaction score
I kind of liked the mystery of not knowing, but it's not a big deal either way for me.

Elizabeth

先輩
Reaction score
I kind of liked the mystery of not knowing, but it's not a big deal either way for me.
Why it couldn't be a small written display (M, F), without an icon and especially the idiotic blue and pink I'm not sure....making it so obvious it's the first thing you see is what has become a little suspicious and slightly odd. :eek:

sabro

後輩
Reaction score
Perhaps a third choice, a fourth choice or no choice at all is in order?

Tsuyoiko

DON'T PANIC!
Reaction score
androgyne :) A circle with a cross underneath and an arrow too, coloured lilac ;-)

Uncle Frank

SECURITY
Admin
Reaction score
Hummm???

Maybe a male symbol in wheelchair symbol to represent us old farts, LOL.

Uncle Frank

😊

RockLee

Hullu
Reaction score
Keep it ontopic please. I don't want to go closing all threads you "kids" post in ;-)

Top Bottom