What's new

Foreigner accents?

For example, the Japanese pronunciation of ジャパン is very similar to how I say Japan. North Americans tend to sound more like jipeeyan (sorry if I'm exaggerating.)
We also say something very similar to ジャパン. The katakanazation most likely came from North America after all. Ja ('a' as in ago) pan ('a' as in cat).

Anything resembling jipeeyan is nonsense. :eek:

Anything resembling jipeeyan is nonsense. :eek:

Er, not from where I'm listening! But I'm listening with British English ears.

North Americans also put extra Y sounds into vowels, which is probably why the katakana for 'scanner' comes out as skyanna, 'cat' becomes kyatto, 'cancel' becomes kyanseru

But British English does the same thing sometimes... for 'Tuesday' most Brits say tyoosday whereas toosday is more prevalent in North America (I know there are exceptions.)

Maybe it depends on the region even within the US, but generally American "Japan", "can" or "cat" sound quite different from British ones... I'm not sure if it is "y" sound, American pronounciation sounds more flat - no, not really flat, but as if the mouth is opened much wider horizontally and the sound prolongs than British ones?
(To my years the difference is quite distinctive when "can't" is pronounced.)

When I was a university student, there were several "English conversation" classes with native teachers that were compulsory. Until I entered the university I had almost no chance to talk with native speakers. I had very hard time at the class by an American teacher, because I could not hear him properly and could not understand him, while another class by a British teacher was really easy as I could understand what he was talking.

Maybe it depends on the region even within the US, but generally American "Japan", "can" or "cat" sound quite different from British ones... I'm not sure if it is "y" sound, American pronounciation sounds more flat - no, not really flat, but as if the mouth is opened much wider horizontally and the sound prolongs than British ones?
(To my years the difference is quite distinctive when "can't" is pronounced.)
Yes, I understand British vowels are "rounder" for want of a better term which makes the difference with the second "a" sound.

But 2 syllabled jipee for "ja" is either an intentional exaggeration or some problem with mishearing, maybe listening to the wrong speakers...:)

Jipee.....is nonsense. Everyone I know says Jah and pan. As for the original question, about speaking Japanese with an accent being cute...well I have been told that my Japanese is so cute because of my accent. I can speak Japanese without too much of an accent, but when I get nervous or under pressure, my accent takes over. I think it's because I have to think in English first and then translate to Japanese in my head. I don't want to sound cute, but normal and understandable! :)

My Japanese has a distinct American English accent to it now. Just today, I was reminded of it when I was doing my person business in Shinjuku (he immediately told me if I am a foreigner or not).
Just curious, but where did you spend your formative years? I thought you grew up in Japan, am I right?

I think it's rather strange for someone linguistically adept as you to develop a foreign accent to your first language. (I know a bunch of kikokushijo people who spent their formative years abroad, but not so many people are like that!) Or are you just consciously/unconsciously doing it, because you tried so hard to assimilate in the new land, and now you are back home, but you don't wish to be identified as a member of your home country anymore?

Do you carry your Japanese accent when you speak English?

Just curious, but where did you spend your formative years? I thought you grew up in Japan, am I right?

Or are you just consciously/unconsciously doing it, because you tried so hard to assimilate in the new land, and now you are back home, but you don't wish to be identified as a member of your home country anymore?
Do you really think I "consciously" sound like I am a foreigner? (the answer is no, of course). The accent is one of those things which just come up. There are some exceptions to this as some comedians and actors can mimic some accents during their shows.
The reason I picked up an English accent to my Japanese is I was too good with picking up English, I think. Or, my brain was wired in that way for some innate ways. By the way, I was able to do an intern at the local newspaper in the USA while I was in the college and I got some assignments to write articles for that paper.
Just to put things in better perspective, I can tell you my Japanese is as good as natives. But, natives always pick up some slight accents.
I know I won't be a true traditional Japanese because of my overseas stay. I work at an American multinational here in Japan now and I see the clear difference in business cultures starkly. I look Japanese in appearance (a good looking one at that, if I may so); but, my mind extends beyond the Japanese border.

Back
Top Bottom