What's new

For the future

Nuala

Hell's Finest Daughter
15 Jul 2004
Life will always bring you down. There's no mistaking that. There is a horror and atrocity around every corner. You just need to keep your eyes open, and it will revealed to you through observation. Our world is innately flawed. Government doesn't work for the people anymore, people die of manageable, if not curable diseases and afflictions every day. Even worse governments outright kill their own people for opposing them. Hearts are broken, and lives are shattered by senseless and careless acts of neglect. Young men and women die for the greater good, while that greater good is never made clear. Killing is killing, and there is no glory in it. All they can do is fight for the men and women standing by their side. That's all there is to it. We're always thrust into situations that shouldn't come up in a sane world, and we eventually have to accept that we're not living in a sane world. We're all gigantic idiots, no matter our level of education, monetary wealth, or social status.

For me? I was brought down so low. I let people get the best of me, because I let myself think I deserved it. Relentlessly being told I'm useless, that I'm a "Columbine shooter", that I had no reason to make myself look good because I had nobody to look good for, and just in general being made to feel like an inferior product. My goddamn life has been smashed to pieces, and I've alays picked them up and kept going, slowly improving myself, becoming a better person, better than the assholes that are so common in this world that were raised to believe they were of superior stock to the rest of us. I look to my Irish heritage as inspiration to not give up the fight for life. Ireland is divided but we are free! No longer being massacred for rebelling against our would-be masters. Darker moments of that struggle have played out through the decades, but the message has always been clear, that we would not give up. So why should I, one who has suffered in both similar and different, and often times lesser ways be brought down? Why?

We are humanity. Our small differences bring us together. We are not stronger alone, but stronger standing side by side, fighting for a better tomorrow for the next generation, so that they do not endure what we've had to. This has played out throughout countless millennia. And we will continue to do so, no matter what happened yesterday, what is happening today, and what will happen tomorrow. We are for all intents and purposes a legion. All we need to is stand up and say, "No more". Does everyone get this? We cannot give up, no matter what happens. We will rebuild if our civilization comes tumbling down. We will look to the past for inspiration, guidance, and look towards the unpaved road of tomorrow for what we will become.

Y'know what I said about a horror and tragedy around every corner? Look for the beauty within humanity, the unimaginable kindness and generosity inside all of us. Look to the paragons of our species, such as Jonas Salk, for what we can do. You think they're special? That's within all of us. All of the tragedy and horror in the world will not bring us down. We will rebuild, we will become better for it. I know everyone is grieving for Japan, Haiti, and all the countries suffering today. You are not weak for it, but we must not lose sight of tomorrow. Japan will recover and be stronger for it. The world will improve no matter what the situation at hand is today. Don't ask what could have been done to prevent the current troubles and pain we're feeling, but instead ask what we can do tomorrow to make sure it never happens again. Be strong, and put your faith in the better angels of our nature.

A bit of idealism can't hurt, but I don't think that the natural world is inherently good or beautiful, including our species. I do think, however, that fostering a sense of civic duty would be greatly beneficial. We are, for the most part, a conceited and myopic species. All too often if you ask someone about the matter of an ultimate goal or path in life, you will simply be told 'I just want to be happy.' It disgusts me how most parents claim to have 'love' for their offspring and yet at the same time they 'just want to be happy' without having to get their hands dirty or to overcome their conscience in hopes of improving the world for the generations to come.

A bit of idealism can't hurt, but I don't think that the natural world is inherently good or beautiful, including our species. I do think, however, that fostering a sense of civic duty would be greatly beneficial. We are, for the most part, a conceited and myopic species. All too often if you ask someone about the matter of an ultimate goal or path in life, you will simply be told 'I just want to be happy.' It disgusts me how most parents claim to have 'love' for their offspring and yet at the same time they 'just want to be happy' without having to get their hands dirty or to overcome their conscience in hopes of improving the world for the generations to come.

Sure, Derfel. I guess what you say is true. But, how could I live in this world with such thoughts in my head? I have to hope for the best from mankind. I've had the rare kindness shown to me from time to time, but the scars I have all about my head & arms are reminders that humanity can be cruel to those that are different from them. My own older brother is a perfect example of humanity's darker nature. This backwards thinking of worrying about it later is killing us as a species.

All I know is that I want to leave this world a better place when I leave than when I entered it. I want my little brother to have the opportunities and happiness that I didn't have. I want future generations to have the best possible life they can, and if that means hard times for us today? Isn't it worth it? I really think so.

Back
Top Bottom