What's new

Food safety

567567ww

後輩
25 Mar 2009
My friend received a message from unknown source and sent it to me to ask a question, is japan food safe or not, any one can tell me?

>>>>>>>>>
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Import Alert 99-33
Import Alert 99-33

Product Description:
PRODUCTS:

All specified products from the affected noted prefectures in Japan (see "Charge" section for listing).

02A[][]05 Rice, Cultivated, Whole Grain
09[][][][] Milk/Butter/Dried Milk Products
14[][][][] Filled Milk/Imitation Milk Products
16A [][][] Fish, N.E.C.
16E[][]02 Venus Clams
16M[][]11 Sea Urchin/ Uni
17[][][][] Meat, Meat Products, and Poultry
(beef, boar, bear, deer, duck, hare and pheasant products only)
***20H[][]01, 20J[][]01, 20K[][]01, 20L[][]01, 20M[][]01Yuzu Fruit
21R[][]11, 21S[][]11, 21T[][]11, 21U[][]11, 21V[][]11, 21X[][]11 Kiwi Fruit***
24[][][][] Vegetables/Vegetable Prod
25[][][][] Vegetables/Vegetable Prod
40C [][]99 Formula Products (Milk) Baby
40C [][]01 Milk based formula

PROBLEM: Radionuclide Contamination

Last edited by a moderator:
The source of that list is the FDA, so if you look at the FDA website you can see the precise listing of which foods from which prefectures are subject to the import restrictions. (The FDA is just regurgitating the list made by the Japanese government, by the way). You will also see that the food restrictions began in March 2011, and list of restricted products is periodically updated.

A darned good question with no easy answers. On one side you have consumers who don't want this garbage in their food, on the other you have the people whose livelihoods depend on the sales, and in the middle, you have government....but you know the government of Japan leans toward economic improvement and is more or less in the pockets of old farmers and the nuclear industry. And never before have those last two been so in collusion.

Especially the rice question is tricky because they raised the limits on how much radiation food can emit since the crisis (how convenient). And all the rice makers and sellers have to do is mix the rice with rice from elsewhere to get a bag of rice within the limits, which might be against the rules, but I never heard they immediately incinerated or confiscated contaminated rice so the result is pretty freaking obvious.

But measuring radioactivity is a gross oversimplification of the problem anyway. The problem is not just how much radioactivity a thing emits, the problem is precisely what radioactive material is emitting the radiation. Different materials have different properties and some will accumulate in certain organs and some will just be flushed from your body.

I would not buy jack diddly squat from Japan at this time. In fact, I would leave Japan if I had a real choice. But if I leave I would be swapping long term potential problems for definite short term stress, and that would probably kill me quicker.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom