What's new

Font size / icon visibility

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi, I would like to suggest that the font size throughout the forums be made a bit bigger.

I would also like to suggest that the "You have posted in this thread" icon be made more prominent. I see this as the tiniest pale grey tick -- barely noticeable.

(PS: nice to see that line breaks now seem to be working properly in IE. Thanks!)

Thank you for your feedback.

I am experimenting with a child style ("Red +") which can be selected in the dropdown menu at the bottom left (in the grey menu bar). The fonts in the postbit should be larger now, please let me know if that works for you.

Also, the pale tick should no longer be that pale.

It's much appreciated!

Thomas, thanks for your reply. Yes, the "Red +" style is an improvement for me, thanks. I'm afraid I don't see any difference in the grey tick though. For me it's still barely noticeable. Would it be possible to have an icon at the left of the subject line? Isn't that how it previously worked, or maybe I am misremembering it? I think that is a better idea, anyway.

Hi Eeky, sorry for the belated reply!

I have replaced the tick with a new image:

tick-small.png

Does this increase visibility for you?

Hi Eeky, sorry for the belated reply!

I have replaced the tick with a new image:

View attachment 12490

Does this increase visibility for you?

I think that the poor visibility of this icon is also related to the fact that it is kind of lost at the end of lines of text. As you scan down the thread list, it is not easy to immediately pick out the ones with a tick. Also, I don't understand why the tick should disappear on mouseover (but, as I mentioned elsewhere, I don't like any content to change on mouseover). My personal preference would be for the icon to be at the start of the line, alongside the other icons (as it used to be?) A contrasting colour would also help.

I think that the poor visibility of this icon is also related to the fact that it is kind of lost at the end of lines of text. As you scan down the thread list, it is not easy to immediately pick out the ones with a tick. Also, I don't understand why the tick should disappear on mouseover (but, as I mentioned elsewhere, I don't like any content to change on mouseover). My personal preference would be for the icon to be at the start of the line, alongside the other icons (as it used to be?) A contrasting colour would also help.

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll see if I can add the tick at the start of the line. Since we have received a lot of critical feedback in regard to the onmouseover effects I'm thinking of redesigning 'forumhome' and 'threadlist' anyhow. It is, well, just a question of finding time...

Update: I have removed the onmouseover effect on the forumhome template, but left it on the threadlist template, as I do not feel it interferes in the user experience (no resizing or table shifting) and displays actually quite useful thread info.

I have replaced the tick with the image below, which should significantly increase visibility across all platforms.

tick-small.png

Thanks Thomas, I just noticed! The fat green tick is much more visible.

Just out of interest, what do you see as the benefits of having the mouseover changes on the threadlist? Certainly on my screen there is masses of room for all the information to be displayed statically.

Haha, alright, you got me on this one!

In fact, the onmouseover effect on the threadlist is so tightly woven into the code that I didn't have enough time yesterday to disentangle the HTML, CSS, and PHP involved. I kindly ask you for more patience.

I wonder if, at least, it would be possible to prevent the green tick from disappearing on mouseover? Having it disappear means that one tends to miss ticked threads simply because the mouse happens to have been, with no particular intention, left over that particular row. I don't see any benefit in making it disappear.

Eeky, as stated, I will remove the onmouseover altogether. It's quite on top of this week's to-do list.

Ok, I have tinkered over an hour with this issue today and officially shelved it. I simply don't have the time given the other chores on the to-do list.

As previously stated,

- the onmouseover on the forumhome list has been removed
- the onmouseover on the forumlist is not really disturbing and just displays essential thread info when hovered over
- the tick only disappears on the forumlist, NOT on the "New Post" page (in all browsers, incl. IE)

Most members access the forum through the index page and then navigate directly to the new threads by clicking "New Posts", therefore hardly ever browse the forum list.

I do not rule out revisiting this issue in the future, but at them moment I cannot justify spending more time on it. Thanks for your understanding.

Back
Top Bottom