What's new

First trip to Japan advise needed

babydoggen

後輩
21 Jan 2006
Hi all,
New to the forum, been lurking a while, but my first post. 👍
Just booked and organisied my first trip to Japan, well Tokyo, There was suppsoed to be several of us going but it's been chopped down to just me :)
Now i'm more than happy with my own company, which is a good thing it turns out, and planning to arrive march 27th ready for the cherry blossom 😍 and will be there for 2 weeks.
So Looking for recommendations for a late 20 something guy to see or go in Tokyo that may be a liitle different or a must see / do? I have no set plans whilst there so any suggestions ?
babydoggen

babydoggen said:
Hi all,
New to the forum, been lurking a while, but my first post. 👍
Just booked and organisied my first trip to Japan, well Tokyo, There was suppsoed to be several of us going but it's been chopped down to just me :)
Now i'm more than happy with my own company, which is a good thing it turns out, and planning to arrive march 27th ready for the cherry blossom 😍 and will be there for 2 weeks.
So Looking for recommendations for a late 20 something guy to see or go in Tokyo that may be a liitle different or a must see / do? I have no set plans whilst there so any suggestions ?
babydoggen

One thing I cannot stress enough - you deffinately MUST buy a Japan Rail Pass, they cost 45,100 (ツ≫??19) yen for 2 weeks or 28,300 yen (ツ≫??37) for one week. This offers unlimited travel on local and rapid trains, limited express and ordinary express, ツ"HIKARIツ" and ツ"KODAMAツ" trains on the Tokaido and Sanyo Shinknasen and any trains on the Tohoku, Yamagata, Akita, Joetsu, Nagano and Kyushu Shinkansen, the only trains you can't use it on are the ツ"NOZOMIツ" trains* on the Tokaido and Sanyo Shinkansen.

If you've got a pass, as Japan is a relitivly small country, you can get almost anywhere within an excepable time zone (not like travelling for a week across the US to get some where :p).

It will save you LOADS of train travel. You may want to get only a week one because you could spend on week in Tokyo then the other week traveling around on the pass. Also, the pass can only be bought in the UK or wherever you're traveling from, it cannot be bought in Japan.

Here's a link JAPAN RAIL PASS | ジャパン・レール・パス

As for what to do, I can't really help you but I can tell you how to get around :p.

arrived originally for 2 weeks.

going well on towards 2 months, mwahahaha.

You should love it.

i think japan rail pass is a complete waste of money if people ain't gone leave tokyo
maybe the one day bus fare? can ride around, see the sights, get on and off + kick it in different areas for $5
and op needs to read the forum a bit more to get an idea of what he wants
some 20 year old guys wanna go roppongi
others makuhari messe (myself)
some wanna go to kabukicho in shinjuku
buy a guide book, or several. its the first trip, so don't leave it up to a dozen internet people's biases/memories
gl hth
cherry blossoms... check/search the forum for "hana-mi" or various combinations
it is a good time to go, i go at least every year myself for it
shinjuku park is nice, but they cost money
ueno is okay, but sometimes it is smelly
can't be sure about yoyogi? but it is in a really good location for the jump-off, as the triumvirate harajuku shinjuku and shibuya very very close by

Back
Top Bottom