What's new

first time visiting Japan: Group travel or language school?

dzeni

Registered
19 Sep 2018
Hello everyone.
I'm planning on visiting Japan for the first time early next year. (Maybe even during the cherry blossom season)
Since I'm working as a retailer I could get up to 3 weeks of vacation so I'm unsure which "method" would be the best for me to experience Japan (culture, language, and also some shopping, food etc) in the best way possible.
You see, I'm a 21 year old female so I kind of don't want to fly alone and spend my time alone there, without knowing anyone.
I'll be going to a 3 months long Japanese course starting from October at my local university (beginner's level) so that I'll at least have a little bit of knowledge of the language before I go there. (which I guess I could continue in Japan in March/April then but idk how clever that would be since I could only stay for 3 weeks)
Tbh I wouldn't mind staying in Tokyo all the time even though I would love to see as much as possible from different parts of Japan. I'm also a hobby/amateur photographer so of course I would like to take lots of photos.

So, what do you guys think which of the two options would be best suited for a first-time-Japan-traveler?

Looking forward to your answers and thanks in advance!

I've read your posting twice and I don't understand the question. What are the "two options" that you are comparing?

Ah sorry! English is not my mother tongue so I'm finding it hard expressing what I want. But now I'm embarrased. I was trying so hard to explain my situation that I forgot to mention my two options! I'm soo sorry ><
My two options are:
Visit Japan through a organization that organizes group traveling (usually 7-14 days) ooor joining a language school in Japan for 2-3 weeks.

I think option two is better if your main interest is Japanese language. You would get some Japanese language instruction/immersion and there would be opportunities to have various Japanese experiences. But I don't know if there are such short-term schools are available.

But I would reconsider the "solo" option, especially if you can link up with people there in advance. For example by finding other travelers or photography hobbyists online.
A guided tour will likely be populated with older people or Chinese people and won't really help you increase your Japanese skills.

Option 2

BUT I would suggest you decide where you are going and try to see what is available there in the way of international exchange and free J language lessons.

Back
Top Bottom