What's new

First time to Tokyo, what to do in 24 hours

mr_mac

後輩
11 Sep 2006
I'm travelling to Tokyo in less than 2 weeks for the upcoming Tokyo Game Show. Can't wait! I'll be in Tokyo for 5 days and will have about 1 1/2 days to myself to sightsee. I'm staying in what I believe is the Roppongi district? I just picked up some travel guides and am trying to figure out the best use of my time for sightseeing and a little shopping. Also, what to do at night? The nights during the show will be busy dining and going out with business contacts. But I will have two nights by myself and really don't want to sit in my hotel room alone.

Suggestions?

Since you're going to be in Roppongi, you can (depending on your age) hit some of he nightclubs there.

Otherwise, you should go up on the observation deck of Tokyo Tower, visit Asakusa, Ginza and the Imperial Palace. A stop at Aqua City in Odaiba would be another good jaunt. This should do for one and a half days of free time.

Since you're going to be in Roppongi, you can (depending on your age) hit some of he nightclubs there.
Otherwise, you should go up on the observation deck of Tokyo Tower, visit Asakusa, Ginza and the Imperial Palace. A stop at Aqua City in Odaiba would be another good jaunt. This should do for one and a half days of free time.

Thanks! I'm 35 if that makes any difference.

I've travelled to Japan more times than I can count now for work (and once for pleasure) and have had to serve as tour guide on more than one trip. Things I would check out:

1. Asakusa - an hour to see the temples and such, more time if you want to browse and shop
2. Meiji Shrine - takes about an hour to walk around. It's better on the weekend since you have the chance to see a Japanese wedding party. Absolutely stunning wedding dresses.
3. Tsukiji fish market - it really is fascinating. Get there early in the AM
4. Edo Museum - very good museum
5. National Museum - another spectacular museum
6. Take in a baseball or soccer game
7. Head down to Kamakura
8. Go to everyday places that Japanese frequent to experience how Japanese live - grocery stores, book stores, department stores
9. My wife and I really enjoy Shinjuku Gyoen

Are you a runner? If so, you can see lots of Tokyo on morning runs. A good circuit is around the Imperial Palace (frankly, the Palace isn't one of my favorite tourist spots). It's about a 5k loop. It's about 1.5 miles from the Roppongi area. Another thing to do - stay out of Roppongi as much as possible. In the dozen plus times in Tokyo, I've been in that area once. I'd rather get out and experience the culture and not hit the Hard Rock Cafe.

Back
Top Bottom