What's new

First time here - how to say "Today is japanese class day"

palroj

後輩
25 Jul 2012
Hey everyone,

First post over here, so hello to everyone :)

I'm learning japanese (started a course after a few months of self study) and I'd like to ask for your help.

I'm trying to construct random phrases just to test what I'm learning and I have a couple questions regarding this phrase:

"Today is japanese class day".

First of all, how do you say and write "today"? I believe it's "kyou" (きょう). For what I see the kanji is 今日, which is read "konnichi". So what's really the word for "today", "kyou" or "konnichi"?

As for the phrase, my approach was:

Kyou wa nihongo no jugyou no nichi desu
今日はにほんごのじゅぎょうの日です

Is this ok? Or maybe it's correct but sounds weird? :)

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks!

Good morning, palroj.

You should use 'kyou' for today, and Your approach is good.
I prefer word 'クラス' (kurasu) instead juguyou, just because it is used in this way in my workbooks.

You should not be sorry for questioning.
笑 笑 。

Thanks for your reply :)

So for "today", if the word is "kyou" why is the kanji 今日 ? I understand the meaning: 今 (kon: now) 日 (nichi: day)... but where does the reading "kyou" come from?

今 also could be read as 'ima', or 'now'.

You should use 'kyou' as today when You are reffering today as a particular time for something.

Here I could be incorrect, because I think that I read that somewhere : You may use 'kon nichi'
if You are referring to time period, like 'It will take all day today'. Similar to: '一日' could be readed as
'tsuitachi' and as 'ichinichi'. In first case it will reffer to first day, and in second case it reffers to
one day long time interval. I could be mistaken however.

About the kanji. My kanji teacher said that konnichi randomly changed to kyou from one day to another, but is still writed as konnichi in kanji.

Kyou wa nihongo no jugyou no nichi desu
今日はにほんごのじゅぎょうの日です

This is perfectly all right. :)

Indeed 今日 can be pronounced both きょう and こんにち.
In daily conversation we say きょう.

こんにち is used in a very formal writing, or speech, more like "today" in English to refer to the present time not just one day.

きょう is the original Japanese word (やまとことば) - before kanji was 'imported', and people applied the pronunciation of this word to the kanji 今日 which has the meaning of 'today'.
こんにち is the pronunciation of each the kanji, 今 kon + 日 nichi in Chinese way.

First of all, how do you say and write "today"? I believe it's "kyou" (きょう). For what I see the kanji is 今日, which is read "konnichi". So what's really the word for "today", "kyou" or "konnichi"?
きょう is a 熟字訓[じゅくじくん], as undrentide-san explained.

今日はにほんごのじゅぎょうの日です
授業[じゅぎょう] is correct. クラス means classroom and is never used for class as lessons in Japanese. For instance, music class is 音楽[おんがく]の授業, not 音楽のクラス.

クラス means classroom and is never used for class as lessons in Japanese. For instance, music class is 音楽[おんがく]の授業, not 音楽のクラス.
I was going to say...日本語の夜のクラスに出席 or something may be alright to talk about a shared learning experience and space outside the discipline itself, but that is the limit.

授業[じゅぎょう] is correct. クラス means classroom and is never used for class as lessons in Japanese.
ewww ... I am using "Genki" workbook, and they are using クラス as lesson very often ... :?

For time such as today, kyou (きょう, 今日) can be used. If used at the beginning and is not the subject, no particle is needed. Afterwards, the subject is dictated. nihongo (日本語) and class (クラス) are the words that you are looking for. Since the class is a nihongo class, you use the の particle to connect this phrase. So it becomes 日本語のクラス. Now, the subject particle that follows can differ. は(pronounced wa) can be used. However, if you are providing clarification to a question such as "What class is today?", then you may want to use が as the particle. After, you can use the the ある verb which means to exist/to be. Which this verb is ONLY used for inanimate objects. The conjugation for the aru verb for present is arimasu (あります). So, all together it would be:

きょう、日本語のクラスがあります。

What's a concrete example sentence, for instance?

For example Exercise C on the page 116:

1. 月曜日に英語のクラスがありますか。

and so on.

However, there are some examples where クラス used as a place for education.

For example Exercise C on the page 116:

1. 月曜日に英語のクラスがありますか。

and so on.

However, there are some examples where クラス used as a place for education.
クラス refers to a group that gather for lessons rather than lessons themselves. So 火曜日に子供用の英語のクラスがある would be acceptable when class members gather for it, but 火曜日の二時間目は数学のクラスがある sounds awkward to me as a weekly school schedule. At least, 授業 is far natural for the case.

Thanks for all the replies guys, that was really helpful, I appreciate it :)

Except the last 日 is read "hi" instead of "nichi".

Oh, so this should be:

Kyou wa nihongo no jugyou no hi desu
今日はにほんごのじゅぎょうの日です

Is that it?

This is where all the questions about on-yomi and kun-yomi (and when to use one or another) arise :)

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom