What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Finding work in Japan

aussie

後輩
Reaction score
😊 HEllo. Currently I am living in Australia and I want to move to Japan to teach English. I don't have a University degree but have finished all other schooling. I am able to get a working holiday visa and plan to live in Osaka with my Japanese girlfriend.
What sort of english teaching would be available to someone without a degree and how would it be best for me to approach finding this sought of work. If anyone could reply to me with someone usefull advice it would be well appreciated.

Ewok85

先輩
Reaction score
www.teachinjapan.com

A working holiday visa is only good once, for a maximum of a year. Nova (above link) is probably the easiest way in. But without any uni qualifications then you'll be stuck after your working holiday visa expires.

mr.sumo.snr

Gavin Gives Italian Ducks
Reaction score
A private school somewhere in Osaka might offer you part-time work, but since there are dozens of university graduates also looking for teaching jobs I wouldn't rate your chances very hgh. A graduate on a working holiday visa can have their status changed to a working visa - you cannot.

I asked this same question in another thread and drew some interesting comments - but by 'girlfriend' do you mean 'person with whom you could imagine spending the rest of your life', if so then THAT might allow you to bypass the pesky little matter of a university degree in order to secure employment as an English teacher or any other type of job - excluding fire-fighter (gaijin can't fight fires).

matteo72

先輩
Reaction score
Aussie,
let me ask some info ..
How did you manage to get your holiday working visa ??
Is it for one year ??

Is it difficult to get it ??

aussie

後輩
Reaction score
To Answer Matt I haven't lodged for my Visa yet because I have to get my passport up to date, but in Australia it is easy to do as long as your between 18-30 have a bit of cash and no criminal record.

Mr Sumo as far as my girlfriend I see the chance of marriage fairly unlikey in the near future and at the moment I'm not sure if I wan't to spend more than a year working in Japan so the working holiday Visa is ok for me for now.
If I am to move to Japan and follow this path I could stay with her family for a while. Accomadtion wise I don't think I would be out of pocket for atleast the first few weeks while I'm trying to get my feet off the ground but after a month I would probably be over staying my welcome there.
Would it be pretty difficult to make a living out of private tutoring being in my situation?
Are there any other options?

Ewok85

先輩
Reaction score
Click my link already!

They organize your visa, pay to fly you over, house you and give you some pay in advance to get you on your feet.

aussie

後輩
Reaction score
Year I have checked out Nova but I think the selection procedure might be difficult for me without the degree. I have completed high school and a 2 year diploma and I have emailed them with some enquiries about that. If you do go with Nova (even though you have a preference location) there is still a good chance that you won't get to go to where you want to go. If you do get taken to a different location would it be easy to transfer to the location of your choice after a few months of living there?
Does anyone have any stories about people surviving on private tutoring or about people succeeding in my situation?

Ewok85

先輩
Reaction score
Nova offer one year part-time teaching positions for people who haven't completed university. I wouldn't suggest trying to survive off of private tutoring alone, its a bit hard.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
Do keep in mind that a working holiday visa doesn't limit you to just teaching English. May as well go in for an experience out of the norm, so long as you're going to do it. I remember meeting a couple a few years ago who were working as carpenters while on working visas.

mr.sumo.snr

Gavin Gives Italian Ducks
Reaction score
aussie said:
If I am to move to Japan and follow this path I could stay with her family for a while. Accomadtion wise I don't think I would be out of pocket for atleast the first few weeks while I'm trying to get my feet off the ground but after a month I would probably be over staying my welcome there.
Would it be pretty difficult to make a living out of private tutoring being in my situation?
Are there any other options?

The working holiday visa does allow more flexibility than a straight teachers' visa - though of course the one year only rule is very limiting. As far as private tutoring is concerned - well a lot depends on convincing your girlfriend's friends and family to come and study, or send their children to you to study. Drumming up business any other way is going to be financially prohibitive.

Have her parents met you? Are they happy their daughter is dating a gaijin or just accepting this as a phase she is going through - that attitude could very much determine how long your 'welcome' will be at their home. I know plenty of gaijin who came to stay with their girlfriend's family for a couple of weeks and are still living with them ten years later - "Move over granny there's enough room in the bathtub for both of us".

Harvey

先輩
Reaction score
Here are a bunch of Japan Job resources.
Japannewbie.com

Though, without a degree it's gonna be tough. If you're honestly very much a go getter, I could see someone scrapping together a loyal group of private students at 2000 yen per hour and making some sort of a living. I wouldn't recommend living at the parents house though. That's just not cool.

Top Bottom