What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Finding ways to get an extra income

Davey

先輩
Reaction score
So I was thinking to import herbs from Amsterdam or selling myself to middle-aged Japanese women but I guess that's not really my thing so I got to find other ways to get an extra income.

I work full time and have a decent salary but as most of us, I would like to be able to spend more and also to save more.

I am thinking of doing private lessons again, but haven't done them for years so not too sure where to start. Another idea is to rent a place and get a certain amount of kids for a Saturday morning lesson.

I'm also thinking about getting back into designing websites/logos again although it might take some time to put a portfolio up and I'm not THAT great at designing.

How about you? Do you have any extra income from teaching, internet business, etc?

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
For many of us teaching is the first leg of income. :)

Saturday morning classes sound like a good idea if you can gather a decent amount of students. Website and logo design on the other hand are not so lucrative anymore (check out the ridiculously low average fees on Fiverr and other marketplaces for freelance services).

If anyone has some good ideas for internet business please share them. ;)

Uncle Frank

SECURITY-you SPAM/we BAN
Admin
Reaction score
Bought back an old memory of what not to do to make money. When I was in Japan American cigarettes and booze were a hot selling item , but very expensive with the tax. Being in the Navy , I could buy a carton of cigs for $3.00US and Johnny Walker red & black were $3.80 a bottle , very cheap. I worked off base at a bar called the Pitt Inn , which did a lot of illegal stuff. By the end of my second year in Japan , I was selling about 10 t0 15 bottles of booze and 15 to 25 cartons of cigs at a hefty profit. About 2 weeks before I was leaving Japan , at around 5AM , the police kicked in my apartment door and raided me and my friends. They didn't speak any English and I made like I didn't know any Japanese and they ended up leaving with no arrests. A week later I got called to the Navy base police station by Japanese tax agent who did speak English and had a 2 hour grilling about black market dealing I did. Because I was leaving Japan in a week , they gave me a stern warning and let it go at that. Since I only sold to friends and people I knew at the bar , I never thought about getting caught. I think that was the first and last time I ever broke the law.

T.A

後輩
Reaction score
In the case you start your language school, you need to acquire necessary status of residence in Japan.
If your status of residence is 人文知識国際業務, you can not operate your own business.
In order to start your business, you can acquire status of residence of business manager.
You can find some information in this page.

KyushuWoozy

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
thinking about getting back into designing websites/logos again although it might take some time to put a portfolio up and I'm not THAT great at designing.
I sometimes source people to do stuff like this. Honestly speaking, there are so many talented people online these days (freelancer.com etc) selling so cheaply that I wouldn't advise this.

T.A

後輩
Reaction score
I assume that you have excellent skill of designing websites, logo compared to ordinary person. in that case, you may be able to teach about website designing etc while teaching English at the same time.
In the case of this company, it teaches English and soccer at the same time. In that case, this company will be able to find customers easily compared to other soccer school.
You can make website even before you start your business to find customers. IN this way, you can know if you can find customers or not.

As of now, you can not operate your own company. But you can find Japanese partner and he will start your business. Then, when it has made some result, it is convenient to acquire status of residence as business manager.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom