What's new

Finding a flag owner’s family

michael ross

Registered
3 Sep 2018
I was told that this was the place to find help in transitions. About a year ago I acquired this flag and just thought it was cool from a collection stand point. I never really put any thought into the human side of this flag and what it meant to the person who owed it and carried it with him . is it possible to get its owners name from the pictures and anything else that is readable or written. and have you ever heard of actually finding the persons family years later?

20180902_123632.jpg

Attachments

• 20180902_123646.jpg
    20180902_123646.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 314
The name of the person to whom the flag was presented is on the right side, Ōbayashi Yasuo. It was presented on behalf of the place he worked: Ōbayashi Trading (so, most likely a family business).

See the link below for an organization that helps to repatriate war flags.
Obon Society | Family to Family

Another company name is written on the lower left corner; ????製造株式会社 "???? Manufacturing Co., Ltd". We need a close-up to read it.

Majestic thank you! can you see any thing else write or sayings ? or are they just signatures with good lucks?

Yes, there are a typical patriotic slogan 祈武運長久 "Hope your eternal good luck in battle" on the top and the two company names Majestic-san and I wrote above on the flag, but the rest are all just signatures of the senders.

遠州楽器製造株式会社
Enshū Musical Instruments Manufacturing Co., Ltd.

It was a company located in Wada village, Hamana district, Shizuoka prefecture (the present Higashi ward, Hamamatsu city), so the recipient might be from there or at least nearby there.

Wow . its very sobering to think that a GI of the time would take a battlefield trophy and maybe have it in his closet his whole life and never know it held so much meaning or was so personal to another human being. I cant imagine how close i would keep it to my heart if i was sent away to a foreign land and this was the only thing that reminded me of my friends and family

Back
Top Bottom