What's new

Finance jobs in Japan

fleathedog

後輩
23 Apr 2007
This is actually my first post to this site! I've been reading through some of the discussions and have found them very informative!

I would like to know about getting work in banking/finance in Japan.

I am working in Australia in the back office of the market operations dept for a major Australian bank, have a Graduate Diploma in Finance and have started the CFA program.

I was thinking of going there and teaching english for a year, getting my Japanese up to scratch before applying for finance jobs.

What sort of job could I expect to get with those sorts of qualifications and experience?

Thanks all!

Most likely entry level, but at least you'll have some finance experience already.

Your plan is right though... get in w/ some Japanese under your belt. If you're in back office, you will be surrounded by a 70% Japanese female work force, many of which don't speak much English... or at least not want to. As you move to the front, English fluency tends to get better, although is far from perfect.

I am coming to Japan as a software engineer next year. When I come I am hoping to bring my wife too. She has a degree in Financial Management. I like to know the options available for her.

And I might have to work at Nagana away from Tokyo. Are there jobs available in Nagana even thought it's away from Tokyo?

Thanks in advance.
Varuna.

well I think it would be a great privilege to go and work in such a fabulous country, I have been working as a finance analyst in the US for the last 3 years or so, but I always had an attraction towards this place. Being an Indian citizen I would also love to work in the continent where we are. So have to go through some language learning before I can expect to apply!

You could try contacting a few of the head hunting firms. There are several that specialize in the financial services area (Wallstreet Associates, Michael Page, Morgan McKinley). For the most part, they cater to the European or American companies.

Website called careercross has lots of opportunities to look at which will give you a flavor for the kinds of openings that are out there. Most of the posts are by these head hunters.

Send out your resume to several of these firms and they'll be happy to talk to you and see if you would be a good fit. Your best bet is to work for a foreign company with operations in Japan. They tend to pay the most and have "western" operating style.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom