Final Exam of the First Term (4)

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Dear native English speakers,
Would you help me?

問7 次の文を読んで、下の問いに答えなさい。[32点]
There are (あ), too, of course. Foreign visitors to Japan sometimes find that the Japanese are very reserved ― they don't (い) open up. But Dyron Dabney, from the U.S., believes that the Japanese can open up. It's just that they need time to build personal relationships.
Some foreigners have also commented on the (う) of unity of religious belief in Japan. But Lourdes Doménech, from Spain, regards (A)the situation as something positive. "After all, the various religious groups don't fight each other," she says. "Indeed," she continues, "Japan is a safer and more (え) country than many others that have strong religious beliefs."
Birol Gündüz, from Turkey, thinks that the Japanese have something in common with Muslims. In Islam, he (お) out, it is important to be cordial, courteous, honest, and sincere in (B)your relationships with those around you. "(C)The same ideals are shared by the Japanese in their everyday lives," he says.

These opinions are just a few examples of the wide variety of views (D)(express) by foreign residents in Japan, but they are (か) in (E)(give) the Japanese an outside perspective on their own culture.
(F)In coming to Japan, such people must have had a great spirit of adventure. What about the other side of the picture? Do many Japanese people share that spirit? As (き) as students are concerned, fewer and fewer are choosing to go abroad to study.
According to the Ministry of Education, after a (く) in 2004, numbers began to decrease significantly. Indeed, between 2007 and 2008 alone, there was an 11% (け) in the number of students studying abroad.
Yin Wenyi believes that young people in Japan should take (こ) of their freedom to go abroad. "Once you have a Japanese passport," she says, "(G)you can go virtually anywhere in the world." She points out that that is something the Chinese envy. "Young people in Japan should take learning a foreign language more seriously and then go off and see the world (H) their own eyes," she adds. "That would help Japan's future enormously."

(1) (あ)~(こ)に入る適切な語句を下の選択肢から選んで記号で書きなさい。
(a)peek (b)advantage (c)criticisms (d)peaceful (e)far
(f)valuable (g)points (h)reduction (i)readily (j)lack

(2) 次の(a)~(j)の文が、 本文の内容に合っていたらTを、違っているか、または本文の内容からはわからない場合はFをそれぞれの解答欄に書きなさい。
(a) Dyron Dabney doubts that the Japanese can open up.
(b) Lourdes Doménech views the religious situation of Japan negatively.
(c) According to the Ministry of Education, more and more Japanese students go abroad
to study.
(d) Birol Gündüz thinks that the Japanese are not cordial nor sincere.
(e) It is helpful to learn various opinions expressed by foreign residents in Japan.
(f) Foreign residents in Japan must have been adventurous when they came to live in Japan.
(g) Yin Wenyi doesn't think that the Japanese students should go abroad to study.
(h) Lourdes Doménech thinks that Japan is more peaceful than many other countries that have strong religious beliefs.
(i) Dyron Dabney thinks that it takes time to build personal relationship with
Japanese people.
(j) Yin Wenyi says that Japanese students should learn foreign languages more seriously.

(3) 下線部(A)の the situation の内容を日本語で書きなさい。[2点]
(4) 下線部(B)を日本語に訳しなさい。[1点]
(5) 下線部(C)を能動態の文に直しなさい。[1点]
(6) 下線部(D)のexpressを適切な形に直しなさい。[1点]
(7) 下線部(E)のgiveを適切な形に直しなさい。[1点]
(8) 下の文の( )に適切な語を入れて、下線部(F)とほぼ同じ意味にしなさい。[1点]
( ) they came to Japan
(9) 下線部(G)を日本語に訳しなさい。[2点]
(10) (H)に当てはまる語を次の選択肢から記号で選びなさい。[1点]
(ア)in (イ)on (ウ)at (エ)with
(11) 次の語句を並び替えて「海外に留学する中国人の学生はどんどん増えている」の意味になるようにしなさい。最初の文字も小文字にしてあります。[2点]
to study / more / Chinese students / more / go abroad / and .

Thanks in advance.

Hirashin

(1)(a) should be "peak", not "peek".
In (2)(c), it would be more natural to replace "go" with "are going".
In (2)(g), "the" should be removed. The question is referring to students in general, not to a particular group of students.
In (2)(i), change "relationship" to "relationships".
Change (2)(j) to "Yin Wenyi thinks that Japanese students should be more serious about learning foreign languages."
(11) I think the English translation is more natural and more grammatically correct with "are going abroad" rather than "go abroad". However, "go abroad" is probably OK in this case if you prefer to leave this as it is. Also, should どんどん be changed to だんだん? My understanding is that どんどん増えている suggests a rapid rise, whereas だんだん増えている suggests a more gradual rise.

Thanks for your great help, joadbres.
I've corrected all the sentences you pointed out.

Back
Top Bottom