What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Favourite Kanji

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
I'm pretty partial to 龍, but what are the criteria here? Meaning? Aesthetics? Personal significance? Other? I've come across some that I've liked just because of what I was doing and where I was when I learned them.

Reaction score
I'm pretty partial to 龍, but what are the criteria here? Meaning? Aesthetics? Personal significance? Other? I've come across some that I've liked just because of what I was doing and where I was when I learned them.

There is no such criteria! You can post what ever kanii you like! May be you can post archival, rare,complex Kanjis

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
Nah, I don't think any of those are among my favorites, although I do also have an affinity for 盈 and 髒. 縊 and 溢 are nice too (looks-wise. The meaning of 縊 isn't nice at all). :)

Hmm... I guess while 髒 is out there I may as well throw in 穢, since they're in the same semantic ballpark (even if the meanings aren't so nice).

Last edited:

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
Oh, and if I may I'd like to throw out 稀 as well, partly because that's how often it seems to get used. I actually saw 希 used for it today. 希! Not even in 稀少, either! What's that about?!

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
Ooo, and from today's article,
晩餐 is pretty great. I like the feel/look of 餐 and the meaning of it. :)

饕餮 is pretty cool too, and not wholly unrelated (a mythical beast that devours all beasts and demons).

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
I think 擽 is pretty great, because it's a pretty good description (most of the time... sometimes it's not so fun. ha).

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
拿 and 箍 have their good points too. I kind of like the look of 拿, and 箍 and others like it have this strange thing going on with 巾 and 匚 that sticks out in my mind. 砸 is another one like that.

tamachan

後輩
Reaction score
I like 々typically used for double sound such as 時々(tokidoki) or 人々(hitobito).
So funny!

ryuurui

品天龍涙
Reaction score
A few, but my favourite is 龍 (dragon), I simply cannot stop writing it.

ryuu34-1.jpg

饕餮 is pretty cool too, and not wholly unrelated (a mythical beast that devours all beasts and demons).

that phrase is wicked

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
I like 姻 because it looks like a man imprisoned by a woman.

ryuurui

品天龍涙
Reaction score
I like 姻 because it looks like a man imprisoned by a woman.

Sorry to disappoint you but in this case the etymology of this character points at a completely different meaning. It is a woman (女) that is considered an aid (因) to a man, that he can rely on. Though there are moments in my life when I wonder if your etymology would not be more logical lol.

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
Sorry to disappoint you but in this case the etymology of this character points at a completely different meaning.
Thanks for the info ryuurui... yes, actually I thought the "imprisoned man" meaning probably wasn't etymologically correct because I know prisoner is 囚 and not 因. But the latter does look awfully like a little stick man in a prison cell!

Top Bottom