What's new

Favorite Japanese Prefecture(s)?

Hachiko

後輩
17 Jan 2004
Okay everyobdy, I would like to know from everyone what their favorite Japanese prefecture is. Since there are 47 prefectures in Japan, it would not seem right to post a poll on this. To each his/her own. 😄

For me, outside of Tokyo-to, I like Okinawa-ken. It's virtually a Japanese Hawaii. Even though it still feel a little bit of after effects from WWII, it's still beautiful. If I became a citizen of Japan, I would buy a house in Okinawa (although that may not happen :eek: ).

Third has to be Nagano -ken. Nagano-ken has lots of mountains, valleys.... Perfect for hiking, skiing, backpacking, and/or simply being at peace with yourself.

Fourth is Kyoto and fifth is Nara. Temples, and great places to learn about the history of Japan. Everyone probably knows that Tokyo and Kyoto are musts in any vacation to Japan.

What about you, minna-san? Let's hear it, ne?

My favourtie is Kyoto. A great place with wonderful people, and it's got different qualities that separate itself from most of the other Japanese cities I've been to

I think Tottori Prefecture is cool because of its name. Its name means "Take a Chicken!"

I feel it's not fair to make a choice since I haven't visited all prefectures. But, I do love living where I am now - Kagoshima ken. Lots of palm trees, small islands, relaxed attitudes (similar to Okinawan people) and shochu. ;)

Originally posted by Buntaro
I think Tottori Prefecture is cool because of its name. Its name means "Take a Chicken!"

Interesting...I thought Tottori meant "many birds" in Japanese. But yes, there's a wide variety of fowl, both wild and domesticated, in Tottori-ken. :)

Originally posted by whlee75
My favourtie is Kyoto. A great place with wonderful people, and it's got different qualities that separate itself from most of the other Japanese cities I've been to

Kyoto is a prefacture? I thought it was a city within the Kansai pref....

hmm not sure what my favorite prefecture is... but my favorite place in Japan is ツ催キ窶禿倪?卍ャ(sakuragichou) Now that's a wonderful place~
Very romantic~

Kochi,

It has a little of everything, plus some great beaches, surfing, mountains, the ocean, food (katsuo), culture (part of the 88 temple pilgrimage route, and was one of the birthplaces of modern Japan (along with Satsuma and Choshu)), the Shimanto River, plenty of nature, very friendly people, and big cities that are not so big to be overwhelming (like Tokyo, Osaka, or even Kyoto on somedays) but large enough to have everything you need. Lastly, it is far enough away to keep all but the most refined of tourists away.

Kansai has its charm (lived there for three years) but Kochi has character too.

Yamanashi-ken... home to the better half of Fuji-san (take that, you Shizuoka folk!), and outdoor sportsman's paradise: hiking, rock climbing, ice climbing, skiing, fishing, and meditation. The people are just plain nicer--because they are so much fewer out here.

But, Yamanashi principally because it's where I live.

Next would be Kyoto-ken (for it's rich history, lack of sky scrapers, and excess of college girls), then Tokyo-ken. Kanagawa is also nice.

I live in Okinawa, and though it is very nice, the summers are just too damn hot! I vote for Kanagawa! :)

Well i havent been to many prefectures, but when i was in Tokyo, it was ace. Ill have a better idea when i go again

Back
Top Bottom