What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

favorite japanese phrases!

Hypertokyo5

Semper Fi
Reaction score
i have many favorite japanese phrases(that i hope are correct) such as hashi ga tsukaeru yo! which i think mean "i can use chopsticks". here's your chance to share your faves and what they mean!!! yay!!!!😌

Reaction score
My personal favourite is 'yorokonde'
which means 'my pleasure' when I was in Japan, I generally found myself saying this instead of doitashimashite(spelling?) which as you may well know is your welcome.
Also I found that it was a phrase that not many Japanese people would expect a gaijin to even know, so that made me feel a little more confident in my Japanese too.

Mukade

ナスO窶愿コ窶天ナステ・
Reaction score
I've always been partial to 八方美人, literally meaning a 'beautiful person in all eight directions.'

It refers to someone who tries to be everybody's friend by saying what people want to hear.

For example:

彼女はやさしそうだけど、やっぱり八方美人だ。

Reaction score
Mukade said:
I've always been partial to 八方美人, literally meaning a 'beautiful person in all eight directions.'
It refers to someone who tries to be everybody's friend by saying what people want to hear.
For example:
彼女はやさしそうだけど、やっぱり八方美人だ。

I'm not great at reading many Japanese characters, the only words I recognise are Ueno, yakitori and rewrite.
how is the phrase pronounced?

Hyde_is_my_anti-drug

Japanese Modernist
Reaction score
My favorite phrase...hmm, probably, "Fuzakeruna yo!" :D It's used mostly when someone's speaking to you disrespectfully and kinda means, "Stop acting stupid." Another fav, "Omae wa ikutsu?!" Is used when someone's not acting mature and literally means, "How old are you?!" As you can see, I luffles insults. But my favorite phrase, that isn't an insult, is, "Ai shiteru" call me a sap but I just love the way that phrase sounds. It's such a lovely sound for it's meaning.

cheapshot

Sempai
Reaction score
i learnt a good phase recently...

おっちょこちょいのすっとこどっこい

which basically means "a schoolboy error" or " a careless mistake" (i think)

gaijin_girl

Kouhai
Reaction score
外国人を食べてはいけない!

At least I hope I got that right...I can handle vocabulary but when it comes to grammar I = bad.

Top Bottom