What's new

Fashion in Japan

HanaK

Kaishi :3
6 Oct 2010
(I suppose this is aimed more toward the teens of Japan as far as fashion)
I don't live in Japan (no where near actually) and I have found that (from my research) Japanese teen are very eccentric. Since the turn up of visual kei bands/styles and anime, it seems that the fashion has been crazy dyed hair and dark clothing.

I have nothing against this style (I actually enjoy it myself) but I was wondering if the style is as extreme as people say.

So just say what you like or dislike about the style and please tell me if this is really a huge trend in Japan or just a big exaggeration.

Thanks 🙂

What do you mean by extreme? Do you mean in terms of popularity?

Japan, like everywhere else, has norms and cliques. Visual Kei is a niche group, and from my own observation and social circles, it's very minor, although to people who are in that scene, surely they have more exposure to others with similar interests. You'll rarely find an individual, completely on their own, who dresses or acts a certain in a way that conforms to a particular niche group. For that reason, I think that even the development of "extremely individualistic" fashion in Japan is not just a matter of personal expression, but is also a result of group dynamics where unconventional styles are encouraged and feed off each other, which is why these street fashion websites are usually only shooting in a limited number of locations - these groups are localized, and members of those groups hang out in certain areas to see and be seen.

It all depends on where you go and what you are looking for
FASHION JAPAN
東京のストリートファッション最新情報 | スタイルアリーナ

Thanks everyone for your input. I just wanted to get more into the topic since I do enjoy fashion (especially Japanese) myself. I really appreciate the websites and everything. Please keep posting. The Japanese have found a way to have a style with no rules and I like it :)

Could you expand on that point?
Tastes differ, as well as demands. I don't find styles here elegant and proud (in a good sense of this word). Some of them are ridiculous (high school boys demonstrating their underwear), some are vulgar (girls with make-up of hookers), some are just boring (business styles for both men and women), some are not innovative (formal and evening clothes), etc.

Those are some very specific examples to make such a general claim. High school boys aren't exactly the pinnacle of fashion (or common) sense, though I haven't seen any wandering around with their tightey whiteys exposed. It really does vary depending on individual tastes; I'd wager the people on the website I mentioned take a lot of pride in the way they dress, although elegance is a rather subjective distinction.

high school boys demonstrating their underwear...girls with make-up of hookers.....business styles for both men and women.....formal and evening clothes
Those are some very specific examples to make such a general claim. High school boys aren't exactly the pinnacle of fashion (or common) sense, though I haven't seen any wandering around with their tightey whiteys exposed. It really does vary depending on individual tastes; I'd wager the people on the website I mentioned take a lot of pride in the way they dress, although elegance is a rather subjective distinction.
LOL. High schoolers, girls in general, business people/employees, formal/evening event visitors are not specific examples. They actually cover the great deal of people's lives. The only what wasn't mentioned in my post is casual clothes. I don't wear jeans and T-shirts, so I don't really care in what form this stuff exists here. HS boys with low wearing pants, means you can see their underwear, are available in all trains. While the tasteful refinement (elegance) is a rare thing, objectively.

LOL. High schoolers, girls in general, business people/employees, formal/evening event visitors are not specific examples. They actually cover the great deal of people's lives. The only what wasn't mentioned in my post is casual clothes. I don't wear jeans and T-shirts, so I don't really care in what form this stuff exists here. HS boys with low wearing pants, means you can see their underwear, are available in all trains. While the tasteful refinement (elegance) is a rare thing, objectively.

You really just are incapable of being civil aren't you? You should change your screen name from "let's talk" to "let's argue".

You really just are incapable of being civil aren't you? You should change your screen name from "let's talk" to "let's argue".
Or maybe you just are incapable of taking things easy. Nothing from "argue" in expressing ideas. Or maybe you are a boy who got lost in a girl talk. It happens.

Thanks to everyone! About the low wearing pants, I see plenty of that here in America too just to a point where sometimes I feel sick. The girls are about the same though except they are hip-hugging jeans that almost show their underwear (not to mention super low cut shirts).
I unerstand that elegane isn't the "in trend" of Japan right now but the same is here in America. There is no such thing as "elegance" except for at high school proms.
Yet again thanks to everyone! :)

Oh boy, if you think you can't have elegant street style you need to expand your fashion horizons.
If you want elegant I'd say look at Europe, Asian fashion doesn't offer too much in the way of chic elegance or sophistication (and don't jump down my throat for saying that, it's just my opinion).
chic street style - Google Search

I do not live in Japan, but it seems pretty obvious that there are varying cultures within the one country, all with different styles. You mention Visual Kei, but there are also the Lolita girls and the Harajuku girls. It is important to note that, much like Goths and Emos in other countries, these fashions are, as somebody else said, niche groups. They are not all that popular in the countries themselves but they gain worldwide attention because of the flamboyant outfits.

From what I have seen, Japanese fashion is actually pretty reserved. If you can get the NHK World channel where you live (in England and on Sky, it's channel 516 but I have no idea anywhere else), there is a weekly show called Tokyo Fashion Express, with catwalk shows detailing the latest fashions.

Asia Jam - Fashion & Trends in Australiasia has a lot of items of clothing on it popular in Japan and other parts of asia today. Most of the clothing there is brand new, so it is a good reflection of what some teens in Japan will be wearing.

Fashion here in Japan is one of the highlights of the culture imo

Housewives don't get lazy and fat, they wear sexy clothes, I love this!

And walking around downtown on any evenings makes me have to go take a cold shower :p

I like the elegance too when I go to the higher end parts, the older women are so graceful and proud ^^

+1 to Japanese fashion!

In my opinion Japanese fashions, creations and designs are actually extremely creative, various and actually don't have the boundaries that western fashion sometimes sets for itself. (The burdon of the history of western pattern making?)
In a way it is fantastic that Japanese teen styles such as Visual Kei, Lolitas etc have made the headlines in western countries in recent years, but also it is sad that the huge talent of Japanese designers is too often forgotten. 90's fashions are making it's way into mainstream fashion so why not checking out the most famous makers of Japanese fashion, who started in the 80's - 90's: Yohji Yamamoto, Issey Miyake, Rei Kawakubo, Junya Watanabe - just to name a few BIG names.
Then there are lots and lots of new names: Limi Feu, Mint designs, Toga, Lad Musician, Taro Horiuchi...
I haven't been in Japan for a couple of years now so I don't even know the truly latest creators, but I still guarantee the amount of creativity and different styles in Japan will blow your heads off - in a very positive way :)
I'm have been thinking of actually setting up a blog about Japanese fashion, but not of Visual Kei etc, but of the more high-fashion side of things. I'm sure I will some day (when I have easier access to all the info again), and will let you guys know of it too if interested.
P.S. Some good mags to read:
SO-EN
Magazine Subscription Service Discontinued
High Fashion (if you can catch some older issues, if i have understood right they dont publish this anymore..)
Gap Press / Tokyo

I looooove the goth-loli and VK style...
(YEP, I'm a huge Moi-méme-moite-fan lol, Mana-sama is so talented~~)

In my opinion Japanese fashions, creations and designs are actually extremely creative, various and actually don't have the boundaries that western fashion sometimes sets for itself. (The burdon of the history of western pattern making?)
i agree when i look at japanese fashion it seems so different like something i have never seen before, which is a good thing because like you said i think western people have given themselves alot of boundries the japanese have broken.

Mainstream Japanese fashion is very westernised and while it does definitely differ, it is also heavily influenced by current fashions in countries like America or England. The Japanese often adopt western trends with lightning quick abilities, while still coming up with creative fashions unique to their tastes.

Hot-pants were a hot fashion item in Japan earlier this summer (which coincidentally were also a hot fashion item here back in England);
http://mdn.mainichi.jp/features/archive/news/2010/08/20100814p2a00m0na023000c.html

Fur themed items are apparently going to be this winter 2010 hot fashion theme ^_^v ;
http://mdn.mainichi.jp/features/news/20101030p2a00m0na037000c.html

Back
Top Bottom