What's new

Family Photos - Translation Help... Clues to Background

OhCarlson

後輩
23 Aug 2012
Hello all,
I've been trying to figure out clues to my heritage for awhile now. I'm half caucasian and half Korean-Japanese. According to my mother, my grandfather (Korean) worked for my grandmother's father in Japan. She was a nurse during the war; and about 30 when her father sent her to marry my grandfather in Korea. From what I understand, at that point she changed her family history to Korean names. I understand her family name to be Iwasaki and that the rest of her siblings remained in Japan (one as a nun), but that is about it. My mom isn't very forthcoming with information, to say the least.

Recently she gave me young photos of my grandmother in Japan. I am curious if someone(s) here familiar with Japanese culture and language could help gather clues from the photographs. There is writing (I assume names) which I would love to know. I would also greatly appreciate any subtle information which can be derived from these--such as hints which may come from style of dress or background structures. Any names, places, clues to economic status, etc. that could be garnered would be helpful.

My grandmother is 94 and living in Korea. She knows Korean and Japanese, and I know English so am at a loss in terms of communication. And, from what I understand she is even less forthcoming with my mother than my mother is with me about our lineage. The family has always been a little touchy about the subject so I'm attempting to gather information on my own. I would be absolutely thrilled to learn anything, even if just my grandmother's name. ^^
Thanks in advance,
J.

226319_10151154264970239_1955686663_n.jpg
(Grandmother is far right)

217606_10151154264815239_1330582028_n.jpg

304938_10151154264890239_1486419921_n.jpg
(Right)

578838_10151154264685239_1985785481_n.jpg
(Left)

I assume that the women with her in photos 3 and 4 are her sisters.

In the first picture, girls were wearing typical gym suit. The man in front of them would be a teacher, I suppose.
Their names were handwritten on each girls and man.

left to right
森田(Morita), 中(谷?)(Nakatani?), ?田(?ta/da), 小野田(Onoda), 田口(Taguchi), 岩崎(Iwasaki)
I can't decipher the man's name.

There is a name, probably the name of a photo studio, on the third picture.

銀座寫(本?眞?)館
(my attempt; Ginza Photo Studio)

Hello all,
I've been trying to figure out clues to my heritage for awhile now. I'm half caucasian and half Korean-Japanese. According to my mother, my grandfather (Korean) worked for my grandmother's father in Japan. She was a nurse during the war; and about 30 when her father sent her to marry my grandfather in Korea. From what I understand, at that point she changed her family history to Korean names. I understand her family name to be Iwasaki and that the rest of her siblings remained in Japan (one as a nun), but that is about it. My mom isn't very forthcoming with information, to say the least.
I suspect there may be some shameful incident or situation here. Understandable, considering Japan's war time involvement with Korea.

Recently she gave me young photos of my grandmother in Japan. I am curious if someone(s) here familiar with Japanese culture and language could help gather clues from the photographs.
Not very likely. If the group (school?) picture could show a school logo, maybe, but even that is reaching.

I'll let others try to read the names of the people. Too hard for my poor eyes. Just remember that many Koreans changed their names to Japanese when they lived here. Many still do, living as zainichi.
Koreans in Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, this is one way (perhaps only way?) to write Iwasaki in Japanese characters.
岩崎
I can make out some of that in the solo pic, but the handwriting makes it very difficult for me, and the second character does not look right.

BTW, too, those names that Toritoribe provided (including Iwasaki) are all family names, in case you hadn't guessed.

Thank you for the replies! Absolutely useful. Also thank you for pointing out the writing in the third picture -- I had not even noticed it. Going to have my dad rescan that bottom portion and send it over to see if I can get a better image. Perhaps it will help me locate what region they lived in.
Yes, believe that she changed her family history due to the feelings held by many Koreans about the Japanese. Especially during this time. My grandmother moved to Korea around 1944-45. I understand that her family are Japanese and were descended from Samurai class. This makes me curious of any connection to Iwasaki Yataro. According to my mom, they were a well-regarded family in Japan. No idea, but as a genealogist it will be thrilling to see that half of my family tree go from empty to... something. :) Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom