What's new

Family itinerary suggestions for 10 days in Japan

Myriea

後輩
19 Nov 2008
I'm on exchange in Japan at the moment, and my mum, along with my younger brother, and my mum's friend and her 2 kids are coming to Japan for a 10-day long holiday at the end of March (in other words, including me, it will be a 10 day trip for 3 kids of 11 or younger and 3 adults).

My mum just wants to cover Tokyo and Sapporo (as minimum). However as I live in Osaka, she will have to spend a few days in Osaka (to meet my host family too etc.) and I want them to spend at least a day in Kyoto .

Day 1: Afternoon arrival; hotel check-in; Shinsaibashi/Glico-man place. What time does the shops usually close in Namba/Shinsaibashi on a Wednesday night? [Osaka]
Day 2: Universal Studio Japan [Osaka]
Day 3: Travel to Kyoto in the morning; Kingakuji, Fushimi Inari Jinja [Kyoto]
Day 4: Shinkansen to Tokyo; Suggestions for the afternoon? Tokyo tower? [Tokyo]
Day 5: Tokyo Disneyland (or Sea?) [Tokyo]
Day 6: Odaiba [Tokyo]
Day 7: Fly to Sapporo in the morning; What to do in Sapporo that's kids friendly? [Sapporo]
Day 8: [Sapporo?]
Day 9: I've never been to Sapporo, so I really have no idea...; Fly back to Osaka in the afternoon; Dinner with host family [Osaka]
Day 10: Last minute shopping? Catch flight home in the afternoon.

As you can see, I'm not really sure what to do in Sapporo besides Onsen. And I don't need a skiing/snowboarding trip, so maybe 2 days and 1 night will be enough instead of 3 days and 2 nights (I kind of want to spend more time in Tokyo or Kyoto)... So please any suggestions for a children friendly itinerary while not too boring for the adults either!

Also it would be even better if anyone could suggest me some budget but clean hotels to lodge in?

Thanks in advance!

That's a lot of travel! You might want to look into the gaijin rail passes/juuhachi kippu to make things easier (you won't need to buy tickets every time you go somewhere; your pass works like a ticket).

The Glico-man place is called doutombori. Great spot; I think the shops may start closing sometime between 7 and 9, but that's just a stab at a vague memory. It depends on what you're looking for. There's a place near the famous drummer robot that has like an old japanese town recreated inside it. I forgot the name of the place, but it's not too hard to find, just pass the giant crab on your left and it'll be on the right side.

Kinkakuji... is very pretty, but was kind of underwhelming for me. I preferred the lovely gardens and hike around ginkakuji, and kiyomizudera. Also, the Gion district and the surrounding area is way fun. I would afford more time in Kyoto if you want to do that stuff and any considerable hiking, like fushimi inari; although you don't HAVE to walk through all the gates, haha; that would take a whole day by itself.

From Kyoto to Tokyo is around 3 hours by shinkansen? Tokyo station is close to the imperial garden, if you're into that. Tokyo tower is... meh. You gotta pay to go to the highest viewing platform, which is not the top of the tower. It's a cool place to have lunch though. There's so much in Tokyo... you could check out Shinjuku (big crowds, keep the kids out of kabukicho), Shibuya crossing (amazing to just sit in the starbucks on the second floor and watch the crowds), but probably Sunshine City in Ikebukuro would be a good place for the kids; it's like a big mall but it has a bunch of different things to see. You could also do the obligatory Asakusa run and go see the kaminari-mon, but it's pretty touristy.

Do Tokyo Disneyland if you have kids with you. Disney Sea is more for couples.

I've never been to Sapporo either, but I think a few members live in the North and can be more help there. If my funds are healthy I might make that trip myself when I'm in the neighborhood next.

Sounds like a great trip, I'm excited for the lot of you!

The shop for children is the Pokemon center.
There is the store in Tokyo / Osaka / Sapporo.
http://www.pokemon.co.jp/pokecen/english.html

Other,
A girl may be pleased with KIDDY LAND.
http://www.kiddyland.co.jp/en/index.html

HAKUHINKAN of Ginza is a famous toy store.
http://www.hakuhinkan.co.jp/contents/english.html

Adult and the child can enjoy in Odaiba of Tokyo.
Tokyo Mirai-Kan.

MEGA WEB (It is a showroom of Toyota, but can play)

The visit of the TV station.
Fuji Television

Nippon Television
Shiodome area.....

Yurikamome

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom