What's new

Expenses in Japan

pinksky

後輩
26 Mar 2007
Could somebody please inform me about approximate summ of expenses in Japan, in Kanagawa. I am invited there for training for 3 months. And emloyer offers free accomodation and 170.000 yen monthly (it's something like a salary). Are these conditions normal and adequate ? I appreciate your comments. Thank you.

Could somebody please inform me about approximate summ of expenses in Japan, in Kanagawa. I am invited there for training for 3 months. And emloyer offers free accomodation and 170.000 yen monthly (it's something like a salary). Are these conditions normal and adequate ? I appreciate your comments. Thank you.

You may want to find out a bit more about what the accomodations are like, and if you dont mind sharing here what kind of job would you be doing for that wage? also I am sorry I don't understand what "it's something like a salary" exactly means.

But for three months it probably wouldn't be too bad depending again on what the training and actual work is. A lot would also depend on your own lifestyle as well.

But if all accomodations are taken care of hmmm, might not be too bad. You might also want to check if you need money for transportation. If it all ends up being your own pocket money, it looks a lot better. Do you have to pay for insurance? How about taxes? Will you be working legally? Just out of curiosity what type of visa do you have?

I don't know much about Kanagawa itself, in Tokyo however they say you will just about survive on 200k a month, but that includes paying rent (for a tiny apartment) and bills, aswell as food, and that's pretty much all your money gone. If you're given a place to live, however, that sounds reasonable I guess! What's the place you're staying at like?

You could eat cup ramen everyday and save a ton of money on that salary as well. Your overhead costs also would depend on the type of accomodations you actually have. Do you have to furnish an apartment? That could cost quite a bit all by itself. Well I think you get the idea.

Being paid while training and getting free accommodation is a good deal, 170,000 is more than enough if you aren't paying living costs. I know plenty Japanese who get by on the same ;)

Thank you for your replies. As for accomodation conditions and its distance from office, this information I will specify later, as well as working hours. As for salary - it is 700$ + 3000 yen for food daily. I work in the same subsidiary company in my country, so I am prepaired for this kind of job. As soon as I get more information, I' ll post it here.

Figure 10,000-20,000 yen/month for utilities and 30,000 yen/month for food (depends entirely on you).

So, from 170,000, you could have 120,000 to 130,000 to spend on phone, entertainment, and savings. Not bad.

I think that 170,000Y it's ok! You should accept this work, if you are interested in this kind of experience in Japan ^_^
You don't have to pay for your accomodation, so as the person who posted before me said, you can use the rest of money as you want ^o^

Also it's 3 months right, 170,000 for training sounds great if you ask me, especially if you don't like it, you won't be stuck with it forever!

Thank you for the comments. Could you please give me some examples of prices in Japan. For instance, underground or bus cost, average dinner in some sushi-bar or something.

Having lived in both countries, I find the cost of living in Tokyo to be similar as in NYC. The transportation, accomodation, etc.. It's expensive, but not so expensive. 170,000 yens per month (net?) is reasonable if the accomodation is taken care of..

Back
Top Bottom