What's new

Exchange student in Okinawa

10 Jul 2004
I'm going to get the chance to go to Okinawa. My Japanese teacher's (who is from Okinawa) half-brother runs an English language school over there, and she said he was looking for people to go back with him (i guess that's why he's over here). If this works out (and it probably will) is there anything I should do to prepare for that? I know most of the basic hiragana characters, and a phew words and phrases, but that's about it. There anything else I need to know?

Good for you! Just remember that Okinawa isn't exactly Japan! There are quite a few differences. The main one being that the lifestyle here is not as hectic. Where will you be going in Okinawa? When? You'll have to let me know, and maybe we can meet!

I can't really help you as far as coming over as a teacher, but I have heard and read that the less Japanese you know the better (for the school). Anyway, English is very much present in Okinawa. There is a large U.S. military presence here and many Americans that have chosen to make their homes here.

Yeah, Okinawa definitely isn't like mainland Japan. It reminds me a lot of Hawaii actually. Depending on when you go, be prepared for HUMIDITY. And those damn cicadas never shut up...as far as Japanese goes, it's a definite plus. Are you going to be around Naha, or more north? I definitely prefer the areas that Americans aren't, if only because the experiences I've had with the military there have been absolutely disgusting. It's a beautiful island, though, and if the chance presents itself, try to get off the main island...I always wanted to get to Iriomote. Definitely try the local cuisine...Okinawa soba is quality. Other than that, just have fun and don't drink too much aomori

Oooh, Okinawa! Yes, its definitly different from mainland Japan. Personally, I thought the major cities were a bit ugly because of the strip joints and other buildings for the U.S. personnel stationed there. Though I was drinking rootbeer at 4 A.M. at A&W.

The people there seem to even look different from mainland japanese and the culture seemed like a cross between Japan and China, its the quite clear in th cuisine too. Their dialect is also very different and there are some words that sound nothing like Japanese.

If you head north, the scenery is much more beautiful, maily because the region is populated with sugarcane farms. Oh! You should try the noodles with the pig legs sticking out of them.

CC1, I'm not sure what part it will be, I'll have to talk to the guy first.

I knew the U.S. has military over there, but what makes your experience with them bad, MeAndroo?

I read up a bit on Okinawa, how it's not Japanese, Japan just took over. The Okinawans do look a bit different from Japanese (we had an exchange student from Okinawa in my Japanese class).

As for their food....the pig feet and pig ears sound a little odd. 😌 I might just stick to more...uh...normal stuff, like sushi and noodles.

Vengeful Ronin said:
I knew the U.S. has military over there, but what makes your experience with them bad, MeAndroo?

I read up a bit on Okinawa, how it's not Japanese, Japan just took over. The Okinawans do look a bit different from Japanese (we had an exchange student from Okinawa in my Japanese class).

As for their food....the pig feet and pig ears sound a little odd. 😌 I might just stick to more...uh...normal stuff, like sushi and noodles.

Well, I ran into the military in several places, including Naha and Okinawa City. In them I saw some of the same problems I see in other foreigners in Japan (viewing Japan as their personal playground, abusing Japanese hospitality towards foreigners, etc.), but they seemed to be magnified. Marines yelled random things at my friends and I (we're Americans, but 3 of 4 were of Japanese descent, 2 having been born there then naturalized here), cursed in English at Japanese people in a crosswalk because they felt the Japanese were walking too slow, and generally walking around like they owned the place. I also made friends with a couple of Okinawan girls, one of whom speaks superb English and works on a military base. She shared with me the Okinawan disgust with the US military surrounding the not so uncommon rapes that go on. I have friends in the military, and have nothing against them in principle, but I had no positive, even forgettable, experiences with the military during my time in Okinawa. None. Granted, I was only there for a week, but you get the point. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from going there. Okinawa is one of the most beautiful, relaxing places I've ever been and probably ever will be. The people are awesome (a lady bent over backwards to help me, and the 2 girls I met drove me and my friends around the island within hours of meeting us) and I'm sure there are far more decent foreigners there than not. I'm just recommending sticking the areas that aren't immediately surrounding the bases if at all possible. Don't miss Kokusai-dori in Naha though...

Okinawans do look a little different from the Japanese due to their inter-breeding with some different groups of people from the continent. Apparently this leads to Okinawans being hairier and bigger in general.

And though it may sound weird, I definitely recommend trying anything you can in Okinawa. It might not be fantastic, but at least you can say you tried it right? 👍

Geez, sounds like some pretty rotten Marines. I don't know much about them, but it sounds like they're kinda crude like the Army. Too bad you don't have an Air Force base there. Air Force people are almost always nice.

I read about the food of Okinawa, and I will try some of it. I might even try the pigs ears, but as for the feet...well, I doubt I could even bring myself to touch one, let alone get it near my mouth.

MeandRoo is right, there can be some bad Marines, and unfortunately you tend to see them more than you see the good ones. Maybe it's because they are acting badly that you see them and not the others? :? But anyway, there is an Air Force base here too (Kadena) and a couple of Navy bases, and an Army base. Everyone is not bad. Stay out of Okinawa City at night. A place called Gate 2 street is a major US Marine hangout at night...not worth going to!

As for trying something Okinawan? Try eating Goya. It is a green vegatable that looks a little like a cucumber. Tastes very bitter. I can't eat it, but it is grown locally, and is said to be very healthy. Usually it comes cooked with bean sprouts, tofu, and maybe a few other veggies. Give it a try at least.

I wish you the best on your trip though. If you have time, take a trip to IE island. Very beautiful view!

I definitely didn't mean to imply that ALL US forces are bad, just to avoid them if at all possible. :) I mean, you aren't there to see Americans anyways right? And I've met some decent foreigners who weren't immediately involved with the military...my scuba instructor was a retired officer, but he had settled in with a Japanese wife and had taken on a number of the more charming Okinawan characteristics.

As for trying something Okinawan? Try eating Goya. It is a green vegatable that looks a little like a cucumber. Tastes very bitter. I can't eat it, but it is grown locally, and is said to be very healthy. Usually it comes cooked with bean sprouts, tofu, and maybe a few other veggies. Give it a try at least.

Goya champuru is the only way I can eat it...usually with a side of water. It's supposedly really healthy (all Okinawan food is apparently) and the other parts of the champuru mix make it bearable, but like CC1 says, VERY BITTER.

I'll try that, I don't mind bitter stuff. Feh, I've heard lots of people call green tea and then I try and I'm like "what are you smoking?"

Back
Top Bottom