What's new

Ero Guro Nansensu

11 Jun 2008
This topic is probably a little obscure, and unusual, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Ero guro nansensu came to denote "Erotic, Grotesque Nonsense" - a popular pre-war theme in art and literature in 1920s and 30s Japan (it included artwork containing things such as violence, mutilation, dismemberment, defecation, and coprophagia in a sexual manner - yikes, I know, but hear me out).

It has re-emerged post-war in music and manga. I am curious about its evolution and I can't find much information on the subject. Can the influence of this movement still be felt in modern Japan? The market for these types of works is obviously a niche market, but how niche? Is the average citizen aware of "guro", and does it leak into popular culture in more harmless forms?

Unrelatedly, but also importantly, I am curious by how much, if any, of this movement had its roots in or was influenced by the west (the Marquis de Sade, etc.)

Thank you for any opinions or insight you may have in advance 😌, hope I haven't scared everyone off.

I think that "ERO GURO NANSENSU" is not known to a commoner.
However, there was it from old days,
In the world of an underground performance
In recent ANIME,
OP of "SAYONARA ZETUBOU SENSEI" is known between OTAKU.

This site comments on the Japanese "ERO GURO NANSENSU".
But it is only Japanese.
"Chika Bon Kihon Kouza (Underground Book Basics Lecture)"
地下本基礎講座

A painter of "ERO GURO NANSENSU".
"TAGA SHIN"
http://www.agmuse.co.jp/artisttagasin.htm

"ERO GURO NANSENSU" except Japan.
gallery

4chan and related sites. There are some with guro as an NSFW forum. I don't hang out on them myself, I think the stuff is sick, and I don't want to get V&.

I remember the phrase mentioned in the mass media a lot in my youth (60s & 70s), but none of the truly groteque or necrophiliac. Japanese media was more conservative in those days, and debate over "ero, guro, nansensu" was on deviation from social norm, usually centered around naked bodies in sex scenes and censorship.

In the "nonsense" category, there was a deluge of manga in this area, such as the works of Akatsuka Fujio.

Back
Top Bottom