What's new

Entering Japan tomorrow. Any recommendations?

Lawrence1

Sempai
22 Jun 2015
Hey Guys,

It is my last night in the USA. I will be entering Tokyo tomorrow. I have about a month before I start studying. Any recommendations for where I should visit?

You can find plenty of suggestions here at the forum, based on what you are interested in. What are your fields of interest?

If you've never been here before, a walk around wherever you're staying will be just as fascinating as a trip to some specific destination.

How long are you going to be here?

No suggestions here, just wanted to like the post and wish you good luck with everything XD nice to see someone posting till this stage. Usually the scholarship recipients just leave the forum when they get the confirmation :D Looking forward to your posts! Hope you have a great time :)

Usually the scholarship recipients just leave the forum when they get the confirmation.

So true. Believe me, I have reached out to many of our more prolific MEXT members in order to get some feedback or for them to share their experiences (and exam materials), but JREF seems to be a mere stage of transit. :)

If you've never been here before, a walk around wherever you're staying will be just as fascinating as a trip to some specific destination.

How long are you going to be here?

Well for now 2 years. But I want to extend my visit by another 3 years to do my Ph.D.

No suggestions here, just wanted to like the post and wish you good luck with everything XD nice to see someone posting till this stage. Usually the scholarship recipients just leave the forum when they get the confirmation :D Looking forward to your posts! Hope you have a great time :)

So true. Believe me, I have reached out to many of our more prolific MEXT members in order to get some feedback or for them to share their experiences (and exam materials), but JREF seems to be a mere stage of transit. :)

Thanks guys!

Thats too bad.
When I joined the forum I tried to look for posts by scholarship recipients after they moved to Japan or any post related to their experience, I couldn't find any.
As an applicant, I would love to hear their experiences.
Hope this changes soon :D

I hope you have arrived safely and at least let your family know. We would like to hear from you too.

I hope you have arrived safely and at least let your family know. We would like to hear from you too.

Hey thanks. Yes. I am in Mitaka now. The first few days were quite busy with all the entrance procedures. And it takes a few days to get used to the jet lag. You can deal with most of the daily procedures like buying things and going to work/school with actually very little Japanese. Still a little bit busy so I may not be able to post as often as before.

Hey thanks. Yes. I am in Mitaka now. The first few days were quite busy with all the entrance procedures. And it takes a few days to get used to the jet lag. You can deal with most of the daily procedures like buying things and going to work/school with actually very little Japanese. Still a little bit busy so I may not be able to post as often as before.

That's quite alright. We are always glad to hear you chirp.

Thats too bad.
When I joined the forum I tried to look for posts by scholarship recipients after they moved to Japan or any post related to their experience, I couldn't find any.
As an applicant, I would love to hear their experiences.
Hope this changes soon :D

It might just be that there's such a long gap between getting initial confirmation in about September and actually going to Japan in April/October. If they only came here for MEXT they might drift off in that gap.

I found some blogs that talked about the actual MEXT experience, but not much here. Those blogs were pretty positive overall, but they were from people who seemed to have very thoroughly researched their university, supervisor, the city where they were going to live etc.

I would be interested to see if all the people who got the scholarship but picked their university/prof at the last minute had such a good experience... I would wager probably not.

Back
Top Bottom