What's new

English teaching jobs in Japan

Nhyalfhena

後輩
7 Jul 2015
I was wondering if, like in Korea, Japan also only accepts citizens from one of the seven native english speaking countries as English teachers/tutors. I'm German and have had English education my entire life (I attended international schools because my parents used to travel a lot). I consider myself close to a being a native speaker and at least fluent enough to be an English teacher even if only for teaching the very basics. Though unfortunately I found that some countries hold on to this (in my opinion) outdated criteria.
Really hope this is not the case for Japan ^-^

Since you are not a native of an anglophone country, you'll have to prove 12 years of education all in English in order to teach it. You could also teach German, but the requirements are less stringent. A working holiday visa would give you a year to explore options, and because it doesn't require an employer to sponsor it, you might have the best luck landing jobs with it, but thereafter it might be more difficult. Hard to say. Do you have any experience teaching?

Like topic starter I am not a native English speaker myself. I have no real desire to become an English teacher, but in case I move to Japan with my Japanese wife and I cannot land an office job, would it be easier to get an elementary school teaching job for non-native English speakers if you already have a valid visa (spouse visa) and are willing to work in smaller towns and cities in let's say Kansai?

Would you please tell us what your nationality is? That could make a big difference even with a spousal visa.

About the only real answer I can give is this:
Most public schools, if not all of them, hire English teachers in the form of ALTs/AETs, which means you are an assistant, not a solo teacher in the room. ALTs get hired through the JET program or dispatch agencies. AETs can be hired through city hall directly. Private schools don't have to operate like that, so they hire directly.

Whether a school or city hall or dispatch agency thinks you are suitable material depends on a lot of variables. Some elementary schools may prefer females (junior high, too), but I know males working in both places.
How good is your English for an interview?
Can you pass a language test?
Do you have any related work experience?

Thank you for your answer. I am Dutch. I personally know of some Dutch people that became English teachers, but I don't know which path (education, connections, location, etc) they took. Is there a certain preference among nationalities in case the person is not native?

I would assume that your Dutch fellow expats got spousal visas (married to Japanese, that is). It would behoove you to find out. As for preferences, I couldn't say. Some people would probably tell you that the more blond and blue-eyed you look, the better. I'd say that that might be true to some degree, but you also need to show how good your English is and probably not have a very strong accent that makes it hard to understand the English that comes out of your mouth. Some companies will require a grammar test in the hiring process.

So, you don't have any related work experience?

I would assume that your Dutch fellow expats got spousal visas (married to Japanese, that is). It would behoove you to find out. As for preferences, I couldn't say. Some people would probably tell you that the more blond and blue-eyed you look, the better. I'd say that that might be true to some degree, but you also need to show how good your English is and probably not have a very strong accent that makes it hard to understand the English that comes out of your mouth. Some companies will require a grammar test in the hiring process.

So, you don't have any related work experience?

No I have no English teaching experience, or something similar. I respect all jobs the same (whether you are a supermarket employee or rocket scientist), but I have no real interest in English teaching. It is really just my backup plan if I cannot land an office job. That doesn't mean I think lightly of obtaining one. It might still be hard, but I'd link to think it's not impossible if you have certain USPs (the company not having to care about arranging your visa, living inaka enough for the school not be able to be picky)?

I have experience in international sales and marketing.

No I have no English teaching experience, or something similar. I respect all jobs the same (whether you are a supermarket employee or rocket scientist), but I have no real interest in English teaching. It is really just my backup plan if I cannot land an office job.
Please take this advice with the greatest of concern.

Do NOT try teaching! With no interest or experience, it would very probably be a bad thing for all parties. If you get some background/training in it first, maybe.

It might still be hard, but I'd link to think it's not impossible if you have certain USPs (the company not having to care about arranging your visa, living inaka enough for the school not be able to be picky)?
Your employer will always have to arrange your visa when it's your first one. They sponsor you for it.

USP = unique selling points? I'm sorry, but I really have to be up front on this. Your nationality holds you back from the visa. An employer might think you are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but immigration will be the barrier to overcome. (That goes on top of my earlier comment.)

I got into teaching from a totally different line of work, one which involved a modicum of teaching experience in university and training international personnel in a U.S. company both in America and Japan. I came to Japan to teach English as a stopgap, stepping stone, whatever, but even though I am American (a desired commodity in the EFL world), and someone who is pretty darned good at my language, I had the good sense to get some training in EFL theory first by taking a series of courses for 6 months, ending in a certificate of completion. Even so, with all that background, I consider myself lucky to have gotten as far as I did. I landed an eikaiwa job first, went into part-time classes on my own and at a private high school, and then because I had a science background and advanced degree, I managed to get a tenured university job. From what I gather, you have none of those things, and I honestly don't see what kind of "USPs" you feel would compete with the majority of teaching job seekers. Impossible? No, just darned difficult. I write this with a little tone of indignation because it really sounds as if you think this "USP" notion is something that will allow you to breeze right in and snatch up a job in teaching. In my opinion, it won't. Worse, your attitude/disinterest in the profession makes you a very poor candidate for success, and that will affect your students, coworkers, surrounding staff, and all other teachers in this country.

You want an "office job" related to international sales and marketing? Use your talents, experience, skills, etc. plus learn a little more than a taste of Japanese language to make yourself properly competitive. Look at the Career Cross website for advertisements in your career just to see what the requirements are -- Japanese language ability is usually a big one. Go also to the 外資系転職求人サイト[Daijob.com]外資系・英語求人10000件! website and see what Terry Lloyd has written in many brief informative news articles about working here. Contact him directly, too. He's very reliable and knowledgeable. And for goodness' sake, look up the visa requirements for the various work visas you might be eligible for.

Please take this advice with the greatest of concern.

Do NOT try teaching! With no interest or experience, it would very probably be a bad thing for all parties. If you get some background/training in it first, maybe.

Your employer will always have to arrange your visa when it's your first one. They sponsor you for it.

USP = unique selling points? I'm sorry, but I really have to be up front on this. Your nationality holds you back from the visa. An employer might think you are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but immigration will be the barrier to overcome. (That goes on top of my earlier comment.)

I got into teaching from a totally different line of work, one which involved a modicum of teaching experience in university and training international personnel in a U.S. company both in America and Japan. I came to Japan to teach English as a stopgap, stepping stone, whatever, but even though I am American (a desired commodity in the EFL world), and someone who is pretty darned good at my language, I had the good sense to get some training in EFL theory first by taking a series of courses for 6 months, ending in a certificate of completion. Even so, with all that background, I consider myself lucky to have gotten as far as I did. I landed an eikaiwa job first, went into part-time classes on my own and at a private high school, and then because I had a science background and advanced degree, I managed to get a tenured university job. From what I gather, you have none of those things, and I honestly don't see what kind of "USPs" you feel would compete with the majority of teaching job seekers. Impossible? No, just darned difficult. I write this with a little tone of indignation because it really sounds as if you think this "USP" notion is something that will allow you to breeze right in and snatch up a job in teaching. In my opinion, it won't. Worse, your attitude/disinterest in the profession makes you a very poor candidate for success, and that will affect your students, coworkers, surrounding staff, and all other teachers in this country.

You want an "office job" related to international sales and marketing? Use your talents, experience, skills, etc. plus learn a little more than a taste of Japanese language to make yourself properly competitive. Look at the Career Cross website for advertisements in your career just to see what the requirements are -- Japanese language ability is usually a big one. Go also to the 外資系転職求人サイト[Daijob.com]外資系・英語求人10000件! website and see what Terry Lloyd has written in many brief informative news articles about working here. Contact him directly, too. He's very reliable and knowledgeable. And for goodness' sake, look up the visa requirements for the various work visas you might be eligible for.

First of all, thank you for your advice. I know you have nothing but good intentions, so I don't mind the tone!
Did I mention that I am married to a Japanese woman? I thought to have read on several pages that I could apply for a spouse visa, and with that visa basically apply for any job I want except becoming a civil servant. I will definitely heed your advice about career cross and daijob, but if necessary I will accept anything that comes my way, or apply for something that I think I can get. I need to feed my family after all.

Please be assured that I see English teaching as a proper job. I have no intention to give only 50% of my energy and effort. I consider myself to always have good work ethic. I will obtain a tefl certificate or equivalent before I even apply for English teaching jobs, and when I do, it will be small children I want to teach. Well it aren't really usps, but I thought having a visa already and willing to teach in remote areas would improve my chances.

And just to be clear about my attitude or perception: I don't look down on English teaching or English teachers. I also don't see English teachers as people that couldn't land an office job. I just meant that my passion is international sales and marketing, and that is what I'll try to work in when we move to Japan. If I have to (temporarily) work as a teacher, I'll give it my best shot.

Edit. For what it's worth: We will not move before I have at least JLPT 2 to improve my chances on the job market.

Last edited:
Did I mention that I am married to a Japanese woman? I thought to have read on several pages that I could apply for a spouse visa, and with that visa basically apply for any job I want except becoming a civil servant.
No, you did not mention this directly, and you should have been more up front about it from the beginning. Yes, it changes things a lot so that you can apply to any position, but it will be your skills, education, and Japanese experience that get your foot in the door. Companies will be relieved that they won't have to sponsor a work visa for you, and a spousal visa gives the impression that you are here to stay longer than people on a mere work visa.

if necessary I will accept anything that comes my way, or apply for something that I think I can get. I need to feed my family after all.
I think you overestimate your chances at getting a teaching job, but regardless of that, I don't really care for anyone landing any job if they have no interest in it. You say now that you'll do the work, but until you are actually in the classroom or planning lessons, I think you may not know what you're getting into.

I will obtain a tefl certificate or equivalent before I even apply for English teaching jobs, and when I do, it will be small children I want to teach.
This will help, of course, but do you still have no interest in teaching, or not? You may not be able to pick and choose who your students are, by the way. This goes along with the previous paragraph. What I mean is, what are you going to do & how are you going to feel when you have to teach older students? (That is a rhetorical question, and you can't really answer it now. Just keep it in mind.)

We will not move before I have at least JLPT 2 to improve my chances on the job market.
And what level do you have now?

No, you did not mention this directly, and you should have been more up front about it from the beginning. Yes, it changes things a lot so that you can apply to any position, but it will be your skills, education, and Japanese experience that get your foot in the door. Companies will be relieved that they won't have to sponsor a work visa for you, and a spousal visa gives the impression that you are here to stay longer than people on a mere work visa.

I assumed saying "moving with my Japanese wife" was enough, but then again assumptions are dangerous. My apologies!

I think you overestimate your chances at getting a teaching job, but regardless of that, I don't really care for anyone landing any job if they have no interest in it. You say now that you'll do the work, but until you are actually in the classroom or planning lessons, I think you may not know what you're getting into.

It's not uncommon to do something that's not your dream job. Bills need to be paid. I am actually quite sure that I will like it as a temporary job, as long as it is not something I will have to do for the rest of my life. Again, no offence to the people who do want to do this until retirement. I am in no way looking down on the English teaching profession. It's ok to have ambitions in different directions right? I don't think that makes English teaching a horrible experience for me and/or the students by default.

This will help, of course, but do you still have no interest in teaching, or not? You may not be able to pick and choose who your students are, by the way. This goes along with the previous paragraph. What I mean is, what are you going to do & how are you going to feel when you have to teach older students? (That is a rhetorical question, and you can't really answer it now. Just keep it in mind.)

I would not mind teaching older people/students, it's just that I would enjoy it more to teach in a playful way. I would first apply for jobs that involve teaching children, and look for other age groups if that turns out not to work. Let's just say that I not easily give up and do not walk away from a challenge.

I might not be native, but my proficiency, fluency and the strength of my accent should be no hindrance. With the help of a course I feel confident that I have enough skills to teach young people. Can they get past my nationality, that's the real question.

And what level do you have now?

Hard to say since I never formally took a JLPT test. Based on the grammar and vocabulary I could reach level 3 within a month of part-time study. In terms of listening I have to research it a bit more. Speaking is my biggest issue, but that isn't part of the test. I will invest in it though.

You can purchase practice tests which should give you a better idea of where you stand.

Level 3 is nothing. Most non-teaching jobs require level 2. Look at Career Cross and see.

When I said you may not know what you are getting into with teaching, you responded as follows (with totally unrelated statements):
It's not uncommon to do something that's not your dream job. Bills need to be paid. I am actually quite sure that I will like it as a temporary job, as long as it is not something I will have to do for the rest of my life. Again, no offence to the people who do want to do this until retirement. I am in no way looking down on the English teaching profession. It's ok to have ambitions in different directions right? I don't think that makes English teaching a horrible experience for me and/or the students by default.
I myself got into teaching as a job unrelated to my former career, and if it's not tooting my horn too much, I have done pretty well, but I have put in a lot of effort. Your only effort is in saying you think teaching is not a bad job and that you have some vague notion that you will do well in it. Sorry. Not enough. My advice is to consider 2 routes:
1. Learn how to teach English, or at least learn some of the theory behind it, perhaps get a minor certificate (more than "a course", as you put it). Simultaneously, look for work in your field.
2. Only look for work in your field.

Glenski, I start to think that you only read my posts for 50%.

I already said that we won't move until I have obtained level 2. I also said that I won't teach English without getting a certificate first, so please, easy with the judgements..

Mate, you said you were German. Germans generally havegood English.

Besides if it is that you come here and join in one of the big companies, they have many people teaching from all corners of the world.

If it is just to get something to earn money, you won't have much of a problem. The sought after private schools and universities may be a bit more difficult,but anything else, you should be fine.

Chances are that if you end up in a public junior high or elementary school, you won't be doing any planning.

If your aims are higher go for what has been said.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom